Job - Chapter 1
FREE Catholic Classes
- « Prev
- Next »
3 And he owned seven thousand sheep, three thousand camels, five hundred yoke of oxen and five hundred she-donkeys, and many servants besides. This man was the most prosperous of all the Sons of the East.
5 Once each series of banquets was over, Job would send for them to come and be purified, and at dawn on the following day he would make a burnt offering for each of them. 'Perhaps', Job would say, 'my sons have sinned and in their heart blasphemed.' So that was what Job used to do each time.
6 One day when the sons of God came to attend on Yahweh, among them came Satan.
7 So Yahweh said to Satan, 'Where have you been?' 'Prowling about on earth,' he answered, 'roaming around there.'
11 But stretch out your hand and lay a finger on his possessions: then, I warrant you, he will curse you to your face.'
16 He had not finished speaking when another messenger arrived. 'The fire of God', he said, 'has fallen from heaven and burnt the sheep and shepherds to ashes: I alone have escaped to tell you.'
17 He had not finished speaking when another messenger arrived. 'The Chaldaeans,' he said, 'three bands of them, have raided the camels and made off with them, and put the servants to the sword: I alone have escaped to tell you.'
19 when suddenly from the desert a gale sprang up, and it battered all four corners of the house which fell in on the young people. They are dead: I alone have escaped to tell you.'
20 Then Job stood up, tore his robe and shaved his head. Then, falling to the ground, he prostrated himself
22 In all this misfortune Job committed no sin, and he did not reproach God.
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 37:3-4, 18, 23, 27, 29
Gospel, Luke 17:7-10
More Daily Readings
FREE Classes on the Bible Free, world-class Catholic education for anyone, anywhere
by Catholic Online
- 'No words for depth of our anger' National Advisory Council tells US ...
- National Review Board offers suggestions for bishops' accountability
- Prayer Requests Live for Tuesday, November 13th, 2018 HD Video
- St. Lawrence O'Toole: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, November 14, 2018
- Archbishop Scicluna named adjunct secretary of CDF
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, November 14, 2018
- The Apostles' Creed HD Video
- Daily Reading for Thursday, November 15th, 2018 HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, November 14th, 2018 HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, November 13th, 2018 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, November 12th, 2018 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education