Esther - Chapter 1
FREE Catholic Classes
2 In those days, when King Ahasuerus was sitting on his royal throne in the citadel of Susa,
3 in the third year of his reign, he gave a banquet at his court for all his officers-of-state and ministers, Persian and Median army-commanders, nobles and provincial governors.
4 Thus he displayed the riches and splendour of his empire and the pomp and glory of his majesty; the festivities went on for a long time, a hundred and eighty days.
6 There were white and violet hangings fastened with cords of fine linen and purple thread to silver rings on marble columns, couches of gold and silver on a pavement of porphyry, marble, mother-of-pearl and precious stones.
10 On the seventh day, when the king was merry with wine, he commanded Mehuman, Biztha, Harbona, Bigtha, Abagtha, Zethar and Carkas, the seven officers in attendance on the person of King Ahasuerus,
13 Addressing himself to the wise men who were versed in the law -- it being the practice to refer matters affecting the king to expert lawyers and jurists-
14 he summoned Carshena, Shethar, Admatha, Tarshish, Meres, Marsena and Memucan, seven Persian and Median officers-of-state who had privileged access to the royal presence and occupied the leading positions in the kingdom.
16 In the presence of the king and the officers-of-state, Memucan replied, 'Queen Vashti has wronged not only the king but also all the officers-of-state and all the peoples inhabiting the provinces of King Ahasuerus.
17 The queen's conduct will soon become known to all the women, who will adopt a contemptuous attitude towards their own husbands. They will say, "King Ahasuerus himself commanded Queen Vashti to appear before him and she did not come."
18 Before the day is out, the wives of the Persian and Median officers-of-state will be telling every one of the king's officers-of-state what they have heard about the queen's behaviour; and that will mean contempt and anger all round.
19 If it is the king's pleasure, let him issue a royal edict, to be irrevocably incorporated into the laws of the Persians and Medes, to the effect that Vashti is never to appear again before King Ahasuerus, and let the king confer her royal dignity on a worthier woman.
20 Let this edict issued by the king be proclaimed throughout his empire -- which is great -- and all the women will henceforth bow to the authority of their husbands, both high and low alike.'
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 103:1-2, 3-4, 8, 10
Gospel, Matthew 11:28-30
More Daily Readings
FREE Classes on the Bible Free, world-class Catholic education for anyone, anywhere
by Catholic Online
- Statistical analysis seeks context for Pa. grand jury report
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, December 12, 2018
- Daily Reading for Friday, December 14th, 2018 HD Video
- Our Lady of Guadalupe: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, December 12, 2018
- Five dead in Brazilian cathedral shooting, cathedral priest asks for ...
- A Personal Advent Thank You and Request from Deacon Keith HD Video
- Deacon Fournier on the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe
- Jeremiah Wright - Obama offered 150k to keep quiet - Politics & Policy
- 7 powerful morning prayers you need to get your day started with God
- Here are 10 Very Interesting Facts About the Catholic Church You ...
- Las Posadas - a Catholic Hispanic Tradition
- Catholicism in Hollywood: Not as rare as you might think - Celebrity
- Prayer Requests Live for Tuesday, December 11th, 2018 HD
- Daily Reading for Thursday, December 13th, 2018 HD
- Prayer Requests Live for Monday, December 10th, 2018 HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, December 12th, 2018 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education