Help Now >
- Angel Stories
- Angels of the early Church
- Angels with Names
- Angels: Bible Concordance
- How do we know angels exist?
- Man Made Lower than the Angels
- Prayers to the Angels of God
- The Fallen Angels (Demons)
- The Nine Choirs of Angels
- Who are our Guardian Angels?
- Why did God Create Angels?
What are angels?
An angel is a pure spirit created by God. The Old Testament theology included the belief in angels: the name applied to certain spiritual beings or intelligences of heavenly residence, employed by God as the ministers of His will.
The English word "angel" comes from the Greek angelos, which means 'messenger'. In the Old Testament, with two exceptions, the Hebrew word for "angel" is malak, also meaning 'messenger'. The prophet Malachi took his name from this word. He was himself a messenger, and he prophesied about the coming of "the messenger of the covenant", Jesus Christ (Malachi 3:1).
Although the word "angel" in the Bible, meaning a messenger, nearly always applies to heavenly beings, it can occasionally apply to human messengers. Malachi himself said a priest was a messenger (malak) of the LORD of hosts (Malachi 2:7), and in the Book of Revelation the elders of the seven churches of Asia were called angels (1:20; 2:1 etc.). But when we meet messengers doing supernatural things, there is no doubt they are heavenly beings - God's messengers, working for Him and for the ultimate benefit of mankind.
Find SaintsPopular Saints
Saints by Alphabet
Saint of the Day
Saint Feast Days by Month
Patron Saints by Alphabet
Join the Movement
When you sign up below, you don't just join an email list - you're joining an entire movement for Free world class Catholic education.
Mysteries of the Rosary
Saint of the Day for Sunday, Sept 25th, 2022
The Apostles' Creed
Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Female / Women Saints
Unfailing Prayer to St. Anthony
Saint Feast Days in Sept
- Daily Readings for Sunday, September 25, 2022
- St. Finbar: Saint of the Day for Sunday, September 25, 2022
- The Prayer Thank You God!: Prayer of the Day for Sunday, September 25, 2022
- Daily Readings for Saturday, September 24, 2022
- Martyrs of Chalcedon: Saint of the Day for Saturday, September 24, 2022
- Haiku Prayer 10: Prayer of the Day for Saturday, September 24, 2022
Help Now >
Copyright 2022 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2022 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.
Catholic Online is a Project of Your Catholic Voice Foundation, a Not-for-Profit Corporation. Your Catholic Voice Foundation has been granted a recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Federal Tax Identification Number: 81-0596847. Your gift is tax-deductible as allowed by law.