Ecclesiasticus / Sirach - Chapter 1
Ecclesiasticus / Sirach Chapters
2 The sands of the sea, the drops of rain, the days of eternity -- who can count them?
3 The height of the sky, the breadth of the earth, the depth of the abyss -- who can explore them?
6 For whom has the root of wisdom ever been uncovered? Her resourceful ways, who knows them?
12 The fear of the Lord gladdens the heart, giving happiness, joy and long life.
14 The basis of wisdom is to fear the Lord; she was created with the faithful in their mothers' womb;
15 she has made a home in the human race, an age -- old foundation, and to their descendants will she faithfully cling.
16 The fullness of wisdom is to fear the Lord; she intoxicates them with her fruits;
18 The crown of wisdom is to fear the Lord: she makes peace and health flourish.
20 The root of wisdom is to fear the Lord, and her branches are long life.
30 Do not grow too high and mighty, for fear you fall and cover yourself in disgrace; for the Lord would then reveal your secrets and overthrow you before the whole community for not having practised fear of the Lord and for having a heart full of deceit.
Reading 1, Joshua 24:1-13: 1 Joshua gathered all the tribes of Israel together at Shechem; ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 136:1-3, 16-18, 21-22, 24: 1 Alleluia! Give thanks to Yahweh ... Gospel, Matthew 19:3-12: 3 Some Pharisees approached him, and to put him to the test they ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- St. Helena: Saint of the Day for Friday, August 18, 2017
- Daily Readings for Friday, August 18, 2017
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017 HD Video
- Ten year old girl gives birth following rape in India
- Daily Reading for Monday, August 21st, 2017 HD Video
- Feeling down? Here's how to change YOUR LIFE and THE WORLD from Navy ...
- Sen. Bob Corker joins ranks of seditious who want to overthrow a ...
- Daily Reading for Sunday, August 20th, 2017 HD
- Charlie Gard's mother opens up about the beautiful life of terminally ill Charlie HD
- Article V could be invoked. Here's what you need to know about it HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, August 19th, 2017 HD