St. Michael the Archangel
Saint Michael the Archangel isn't a saint, but rather he is an angel, and the leader of all angels and of the army of God. This is what the title "Archangel" means, that he is above all the others in rank.
St. Michael has four main responsibilities or offices, as we know from scripture and Christian tradition.
- The first is to combat Satan.
- The second is to escort the faithful to heaven at their hour of death.
- The third is to be a champion of all Christians, and the Church itself.
- And the fourth is to call men from life on Earth to their heavenly judgment.
Very little is known about St Michael other than what we know from scriptures, which themselves are sparse.
In Daniel, St. Michael is mentioned twice. The first time as one who helped Daniel, and the second time he is mentioned with regard to the end times of the world when he will stand for the "children of thy people."
His next mention comes in the Epistle of St. Jude, where St. Michael is said to guard the tombs of Moses and Eve and has contended with Satan over the body of Moses.
The final mention is in Revelation, where St. Michael and his angels, do battle with the dragon.
There are other scriptures where St. Michael is implied, but not mentioned by name, such as the angel; who defends the gate to Paradise, who defends against Balaam, and "who routed the army of Sennacherib."
Today, St. Michel is invoked for protection, especially from lethal enemies. He is also the patron of soldiers, police and doctors.
Find SaintsPopular Saints
Saints by Alphabet
Saint of the Day
Saint Feast Days by Month
Patron Saints by Alphabet
Help Now >
Join the Movement
When you sign up below, you don't just join an email list - you're joining an entire movement for Free world class Catholic education.
Mysteries of the Rosary
Saint of the Day for Wednesday, Oct 5th, 2022
St. Faustina Kowalska
Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Saints & Angels
Female / Women Saints
Patron Saints A-Z
St. Francis of Assisi
- Daily Readings for Thursday, October 06, 2022
- St. Bruno: Saint of the Day for Thursday, October 06, 2022
- Prayer for Expectant Mothers #2 : Prayer of the Day for Thursday, October 06, 2022
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, October 05, 2022
- St. Faustina Kowalska: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, October 05, 2022
- Canticle of Brother Sun and Sister Moon of St. Francis of Assisi: Prayer of the Day for Wednesday, October 05, 2022
Copyright 2022 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2022 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.
Catholic Online is a Project of Your Catholic Voice Foundation, a Not-for-Profit Corporation. Your Catholic Voice Foundation has been granted a recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Federal Tax Identification Number: 81-0596847. Your gift is tax-deductible as allowed by law.