The New Testament, as usually received in the Christian Churches, is made up of twenty-seven different books attributed to eight different authors, six of whom are numbered among the Apostles (Matthew, John, Paul, James, Peter, Jude) and two among their immediate disciples (Mark, Luke).
The New Testament was not written all at once. The books that compose it appeared one after another in the space of fifty years, i.e. in the second half of the first century. Written in different and distant countries and addressed to particular Churches, they took some time to spread throughout the whole of Christendom, and a much longer time to become accepted. More on New Testament »
Reading 1, Second Corinthians 4:7-15: 7 But we hold this treasure in pots of earthenware, ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 126:1-2, 2-3, 4-5, 6: 1 [Song of Ascents] When Yahweh brought ... Gospel, Matthew 20:20-28: 20 Then the mother of Zebedee's sons came with her sons to make ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Oh no! Is El Nino coming back to California?
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, July 26th, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, July 25, 2017
- Scientists discover elusive 'Angel Particles' are real
- Pope Francis is set for something big, but what is it? HD Video
- Will We Use Our Ears To Hear?
- St. James the Greater: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, July 25, 2017
- Statues of the Virgin Mary triumphantly return to Iraq, after defeat of ISIS HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, July 25th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, July 24th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, July 23rd, 2017 HD