1 Samuel - Chapter 1
1 Samuel Chapters
1 There was a man of Ramathaim, a Zuphite from the highlands of Ephraim whose name was Elkanah son of Jeroham, son of Elihu, son of Tohu, son of Zuph, an Ephraimite.
2 He had two wives, one called Hannah, the other Peninnah; Peninnah had children but Hannah had none.
5 to Hannah, however, he would give only one portion: for, although he loved Hannah more, Yahweh had made her barren.
6 Furthermore, her rival would taunt and provoke her, because Yahweh had made her womb barren.
11 and she made this vow, 'Yahweh Sabaoth! Should you condescend to notice the humiliation of your servant and keep her in mind instead of disregarding your servant, and give her a boy, I will give him to Yahweh for the whole of his life and no razor shall ever touch his head.'
12 While she went on praying to Yahweh, Eli was watching her mouth,
13 for Hannah was speaking under her breath; her lips were moving but her voice could not be heard, and Eli thought that she was drunk.
16 Do not take your servant for a worthless woman; all this time I have been speaking from the depth of my grief and my resentment.'
17 Eli then replied, 'Go in peace, and may the God of Israel grant what you have asked of him.'
18 To which she said, 'May your servant find favour in your sight.' With that, the woman went away; she began eating and was dejected no longer.
19 They got up early in the morning and, after worshipping Yahweh, set out and went home to Ramah. Elkanah lay with his wife Hannah, and Yahweh remembered her.
20 Hannah conceived and, in due course, gave birth to a son, whom she named Samuel, 'since', she said, 'I asked Yahweh for him.'
23 Elkanah her husband then said to her, 'Do what you think fit; wait until you have weaned him. May Yahweh bring about what he has said.' So the woman stayed behind and nursed her child until she weaned him.
24 When she had weaned him, she took him up with her, as well as a three-year-old bull, an ephah of flour and a skin of wine, and took him into the temple of Yahweh at Shiloh; the child was very young.
26 She said, 'If you please, my lord! As you live, my lord, I am the woman who stood beside you here, praying to Yahweh.
27 This is the child for which I was praying, and Yahweh has granted me what I asked of him.
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 49:6-7, 8-10, 17-18, 19-20
Gospel, Luke 8:1-3
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Saturday, September 23, 2017
- Daily Reading for Sunday, September 24th, 2017 HD Video
- At UN, the Vatican asks all nations to help in fight against human ...
- St. Padre Pio: Saint of the Day for Saturday, September 23, 2017
- Woman photographs angel in flight, is it here to deliver a message? ...
- North Korea threatens to test H-Bomb over Pacific
- It's time to regulate Facebook and other social media
- Hurricane Maria: The worst disaster for Puerto Rico HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, September 23rd, 2017 HD
- Terrifying earthquake collapses buildings in Mexico City, hundreds dead HD
- Daily Reading for Friday, September 22nd, 2017 HD