Daniel - Chapter 1
1 In the third year of the reign of Jehoiakim king of Judah, Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon marched on Jerusalem and besieged it.
2 The Lord let Jehoiakim king of Judah fall into his power, as well as some of the vessels belonging to the Temple of God. These he took away to Shinar, putting the vessels into the treasury of his own gods.
4 they had to be without any physical defect, of good appearance, versed in every branch of wisdom, well-informed, discerning, suitable for service at the royal court. Ashpenaz was to teach them to speak and write the language of the Chaldaeans.
5 The king assigned them a daily allowance of food and wine from the royal table. They were to receive an education lasting for three years, after which they would enter the royal service.
7 The chief eunuch gave them other names, calling Daniel Belteshazzar, Hananiah Shadrach, Mishael Meshach, and Azariah Abed-Nego.
9 God allowed Daniel to receive faithful love and sympathy from the chief eunuch.
10 But the eunuch warned Daniel, 'I am afraid of my lord the king: he has assigned you food and drink, and if he sees you looking thinner in the face than the other boys of your age, my head will be in danger with the king because of you.'
11 To the guard assigned to Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah by the chief eunuch, Daniel then said,
14 The man agreed to do what they asked and put them on ten days' trial.
18 When the time stipulated by the king for the boys to be presented to him came round, the chief eunuch presented them to Nebuchadnezzar.
19 The king conversed with them, and among all the boys found none to equal Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah. So they became members of the king's court,
20 and on whatever point of wisdom or understanding he might question them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and soothsayers in his entire kingdom. Daniel remained there until the first year of King Cyrus.
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 33:4-5, 6, 9, 18-19, 20, 22
Gospel, Matthew 28:16-20
Reading 2, Romans 8:14-17
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- Commit yourself to ending war this Memorial Day
- St. Augustine of Canterbury: Saint of the Day for Sunday, May 27, 2018
- American websites blocking Europeans over new data laws HD Video
- Another victory for life! California court rejects assisted suicide ...
- Daily Reading for Monday, May 28th, 2018 HD Video
- New rules for Colorado Civil Rights board after SCOTUS bakery case
- Daily Readings for Sunday, May 27, 2018
- Living Words with Deacon Keith Fournier - 'The Word Became Flesh' John 1:1-14 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, May 27th, 2018 HD
- An Ebola outbreak has reached a major city, hereĂ˘Â€Â™s why that matters HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, May 26th, 2018 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education