Exodus - Chapter 5
- « Prev
- Next »
2 'Who is Yahweh,' Pharaoh replied, 'for me to obey what he says and let Israel go? I know nothing of Yahweh, and I will not let Israel go.'
3 'The God of the Hebrews has encountered us,' they replied. 'Give us leave to make a three -days' journey into the desert and sacrifice to Yahweh our God, or he will strike us with a plague or with the sword.'
4 The king of Egypt said to them, 'Moses and Aaron, what do you mean by distracting the people from their work? Get back to your forced labour.'
5 And Pharaoh said, 'Now that the people have grown to such numbers in the country, what do you mean by interrupting their forced labour?'
9 Give these people more work to do, and see they do it instead of listening to lying speeches.'
10 The people's taskmasters and scribes went out to speak to the people and said, 'Pharaoh says this, "I shall not provide you with any more straw.
11 Go and collect straw for yourselves where you can find it. But your output is not to be any less." '
12 So the people scattered all over Egypt to gather stubble for their straw.
17 'You are lazy, lazy,' he retorted. 'That is why you say, "Let us go and sacrifice to Yahweh."
19 The Israelites' foremen saw they were in a difficult position on being told, 'You will not reduce your daily production of bricks.'
21 'May Yahweh look down at you and judge!' they said to them. 'You have brought us into bad odour with Pharaoh and his officials; you have put a sword into their hand to kill us.'
22 Moses went back to Yahweh and said, 'Lord, why do you treat this people so harshly? Why did you send me?
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 60:3, 4-5, 12-13
Gospel, Matthew 7:1-5
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, June 26th, 2018 HD Video
- St. Thomas More and St. John Fisher: Catholic Martyrs
- St. William of Vercelli: Saint of the Day for Monday, June 25, 2018
- Former Vatican Diplomat found guilty of child pornography charges
- Daily Reading for Monday, June 25th, 2018 HD Video
- The Rosary Priest still inspires decades after death
- Daily Readings for Monday, June 25, 2018
- st. nicholas
- st john the baptist
- daily readings
- saint george
- saint james
- Saint Patrick
- st. francis
- st. jude
- st. peter
- mother theresa
- st james
- st joan of arc
- advent prayers
- St Joseph
- ten commandments
- Pope Francis
- saint agnes
- St Anthony
- 10 commandments
- mary magdalene
- Pope Francis has a plan to help refugees, and halt the tide of immigration HD
- Living the Catholic Way: The Church HD
- Living Words with Deacon Kieth Fournier - The Apostle Paul's Second Letter to the Corinthians HD
- Living Words with Deacon Keith Fournier - The Apostle Paul's words to the Galatians HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education