Luke - Chapter 4
2 for forty days being put to the test by the devil. During that time he ate nothing and at the end he was hungry.
3 Then the devil said to him, 'If you are Son of God, tell this stone to turn into a loaf.'
4 But Jesus replied, 'Scripture says: Human beings live not on bread alone.'
6 and said to him, 'I will give you all this power and their splendour, for it has been handed over to me, for me to give it to anyone I choose.
9 Then he led him to Jerusalem and set him on the parapet of the Temple. 'If you are Son of God,' he said to him, 'throw yourself down from here,
11 They will carry you in their arms in case you trip over a stone.'
13 Having exhausted every way of putting him to the test, the devil left him, until the opportune moment.
14 Jesus, with the power of the Spirit in him, returned to Galilee; and his reputation spread throughout the countryside.
17 and they handed him the scroll of the prophet Isaiah. Unrolling the scroll he found the place where it is written:
20 He then rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the assistant and sat down. And all eyes in the synagogue were fixed on him.
25 'There were many widows in Israel, I can assure you, in Elijah's day, when heaven remained shut for three years and six months and a great famine raged throughout the land,
28 When they heard this everyone in the synagogue was enraged.
34 'Ha! What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are: the Holy One of God.'
38 Leaving the synagogue he went to Simon's house. Now Simon's mother-in-law was in the grip of a high fever and they asked him to do something for her.
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 7:2-3, 9-10, 11-12
Gospel, John 7:40-53
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- 'Living Lent': Sunday of the Fifth Week of Lent - Day 33
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, March 20th, 2018 HD Video
- Saint Patrick Calls All Christians to be Missionaries to this Age
- Daily Readings for Saturday, March 17, 2018
- St. Patrick: Saint of the Day for Saturday, March 17, 2018
- 'Living Lent': Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent - Day 34
- Daily Reading for Monday, March 19th, 2018 HD Video
- Daily Reading for Sunday, March 18th, 2018 HD
- The Earth is Dying: Human impact continues to shape the future of the planet HD
- Thousands of students walk out of schools to protest gun violence HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, March 17th, 2018 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education