Daniel - Chapter 8
1 In the third year of King Belshazzar a vision appeared to me, Daniel, after the one that had originally appeared to me.
7 I saw it reach the ram; it was enraged with the ram and struck it, breaking both its horns, so that the ram was not strong enough to hold its ground; it threw it to the ground and trampled it underfoot; no one was there to rescue the ram.
8 The he-goat then grew more powerful than ever; but at the height of its strength the great horn snapped, and in its place sprouted four majestic horns, pointing to the four winds of heaven.
13 I heard a holy one speaking, and another holy one say to the speaker, 'How long is this vision to be -- of perpetual sacrifice, of horrifying iniquity, of sanctuary and army trampled underfoot?'
17 He approached the place where I was standing; as he approached, I was seized with terror and fell prostrate on the ground. 'Son of man,' he said to me, 'understand this: the vision shows the time of the End.'
20 As for the ram which you saw, its two horns are the kings of Media and of Persia.
23 'And at the end of their reign, when the measure of their sins is full, a king will arise, a proud-faced, ingenious-minded man.
24 His power will grow greater and greater, though not through any power of his own; he will plot incredible schemes, he will succeed in whatever he undertakes, he will destroy powerful men and the holy ones, God's people.
25 Such will be his resourcefulness of mind that all his treacherous activities will succeed. He will grow arrogant of heart and destroy many people by taking them unawares. He will challenge the power of the Prince of princes but, without any human intervention, he will be broken.
27 At this I, Daniel, lost consciousness; I was ill for several days. Then I got up to discharge my duties in the king's service, keeping the vision a secret and still not understanding what it meant.
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 97:1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7
Gospel, Matthew 6:7-15
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- St. Thomas More: Saint of the Day for Friday, June 22, 2018
- End of the McJob? Burger making machine arrives
- Pope Francis: Real ecumenism puts Christ over division
- Daily Reading for Saturday, June 23rd, 2018 HD Video
- Daily Readings for Friday, June 22, 2018
- Burger making machine arrives, is this the end of fast-food McJobs? ...
- No to women priests, yes to women in the Curia
- This could be the worldĂ˘Â€Â™s deadliest, most perfect disease. HereĂ˘Â€Â™s why HD
- Daily Reading for Friday, June 22nd, 2018 HD
- WhatĂ˘Â€Â™s happening at the border, and what does the Catholic Church have to say? HD
- Daily Reading for Thursday, June 21st, 2018 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education