Sacrament of Baptism
Baptism is the sacrament that frees man from original sin and from personal guilt, that makes him a member of Christ and His Church. It is thus the door to a new and supernatural life.
This sacrament has been undisputed in the Church since the beginning of Christian tradition. It has never been rejected by any heresy intending to remain on a Christian basis. Doubts could arise only about the ways and means of administering it and on its effects and way of operation. These things are therefore in essence what Church documents about baptism deal with.
THE CHURCH TEACHES
Baptism is a true sacrament instituted by Christ. It is administered by washing with natural water and at the same time invoking the Most Holy Trinity. Anybody, even an unbeliever or a heretic can validly administer baptism. Since it confers grace by the signs' being properly carried out children can and should be baptized even while still infants. Baptism is necessary for salvation. Baptism effects the remission of original sin and actual sins and of all punishment due to sin; it confers sanctifying grace, membership in Christ and in the Church and the obligation to obey the Church's laws, and give an indelible character.
Note: from Pope Innocent III AD 1201. The baptism of young children is not profitless. As circumcision made men members of the People of Israel, so baptism gives them entry to the kingdom of heaven......
A Guide for Confession
Browser Prayers by Section
Prayer of the Day
How to pray the Rosary
El Rosario Santo
Sign of the Cross
The Way - The First Christians
The Chaplet of Divine Mercy
Stations of the Cross
by Catholic Online
- St. Thomas More and St. John Fisher: Catholic Martyrs
- Pope Francis has a plan to help refugees, and halt the tide of ...
- St. Joseph Cafasso: Saint of the Day for Saturday, June 23, 2018
- Daily Reading for Monday, June 25th, 2018 HD Video
- The Catholic Church's Role with Refugees in the U.S.
- Pope Francis: Take in refugees, invest in poor countries
- Daily Readings for Saturday, June 23, 2018
- Living the Catholic Way: The Church HD
- Living Words with Deacon Kieth Fournier - The Apostle Paul's Second Letter to the Corinthians HD
- Living Words with Deacon Keith Fournier - The Apostle Paul's words to the Galatians HD
- Living Words with Deacon Keith Fournier - John 3:16 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education