2 Samuel - Chapter 1
2 Samuel Chapters
2 On the third day, a man arrived from Saul's camp with his clothes torn and earth on his head. When he came to David, he fell to the ground and prostrated himself.
6 The young man replied, 'I happened to be on Mount Gilboa, and there was Saul, leaning on his spear, with the chariots and the cavalry bearing down on him.
10 So I went over to him and killed him, because I knew that once he fell he could not survive. I then took the crown which he had on his head and the bracelet on his arm, and have brought them here to my lord.'
13 David said to the young man who had brought the news, 'Where are you from?' He replied, 'I am the son of a resident foreigner, an Amalekite.'
15 Then David called one of the young men. 'Come here,' he said, 'strike him down.' The man struck him and he died.
17 David sang the following lament over Saul and his son Jonathan
18 (it is for teaching archery to the children of Judah; it is written in the Book of the Just):
20 Do not speak of it in Gath, nor broadcast it in the streets of Ashkelon, for fear the daughters of the Philistines rejoice, for fear the daughters of the uncircumcised gloat.
24 O daughters of Israel, weep for Saul who gave you scarlet and fine linen to wear, who pinned golden jewellery on your dresses!
26 I am desolate for you, Jonathan my brother. Very dear you were to me, your love more wonderful to me than the love of a woman.
27 How did the heroes fall and the weapons of war succumb!
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 51:3-4, 5-6, 11, 16
Gospel, Matthew 5:43-48
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- Church mediates truce, negotiations between Nicaraguan government and ...
- St. Romuald: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, June 19, 2018
- Daily Reading for Thursday, June 21st, 2018 HD Video
- WhatĂ˘Â€Â™s happening at the border, and what does the ...
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, June 19, 2018
- Here are the facts why children are being separated from families at ...
- Issues of sexuality and gender loom over synod
- BEHOLD A PALE HORSE: New strain of pandemic flu that kills 4-in-10 discovered HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, June 20th, 2018 HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, June 19th, 2018 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, June 18th, 2018 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education