Prayer During the Sacrament of Confession
You may either:
- Kneel before the screen, or
- Sit so you can talk face to face to the priest.
You begin by saying these words (or similar ones.)
"I confess to Almighty God and to you, Father, that I have sinned. My last confession was ______________ weeks (months, years) ago."
You say one of the following:
"Since then, I do not recall committing any mortal sins."
"Since then, I have committed mortal sins. They are..." (mention the sins, how many times they were committed and related circumstances.)
"My venial sins are..." (mention the sins and the number of times.)
"I do not recall having committed any venial sins"
"For these and all the sins that I have committed during my life, I am deeply sorry." Then listen to the words of the priest. When invited to do so, make an Act Of Contrition.
("O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended You. I detest all my sins because I dread the loss of Heaven and the pains of hell. But most of all because they offend You, my God, Who are all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Your grace to sin no more and to avoid the near occasions of sin. Amen.")
- Listen to the priest's words of forgiveness (absolution), and
- Make the Sign of the Cross with the priest.
If the priest says, "Give thanks to the Lord for He is good,"
"For His mercy endures forever."
Then you leave the confessional box (reconciliation room) and you say the penance that the priest gave you.
More Confession Prayers
Showing 1 - 10 of 10
Browser Prayers by Section
Prayer of the Day
How to pray the Rosary
El Rosario Santo
Sign of the Cross
The Way - The First Christians
The Chaplet of Divine Mercy
Stations of the Cross
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, June 19, 2018
- Pope Francis: 'God works in mysterious ways...'
- Pope Francis: Abortion of the sick and mentally ill is a 'Nazi mentality'
- BEHOLD A PALE HORSE: New strain of pandemic flu that kills 4-in-10 ...
- Pope's climate warning to oil-gas executives: 'There is no time to lose'
- St. Romuald: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, June 19, 2018
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, June 20th, 2018 HD Video
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, June 20th, 2018 HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, June 19th, 2018 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, June 18th, 2018 HD
- Addicted to social media and online games? HereĂ˘Â€Â™s how to break the spell HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education