Nehemiah - Chapter 4
1 When Sanballat, Tobiah, the Arabs, the Ammonites and the Ashdodites heard that repairs to the walls of Jerusalem were going forward -- that the gaps were beginning to fill up -- they became very angry,
2 and they all plotted to come and attack Jerusalem and upset my plans.
3 We, however, prayed to our God and organised a guard day and night to protect the city from them.
4 But in Judah the saying went, 'The strength of the carrier falters, the rubbish heap is so vast that by ourselves we cannot rebuild the wall!'
5 And our opponents said, 'They will never know or see a thing, until we are in there among them, and then we shall massacre them and put a stop to the work.'
6 Now when the Jews who lived near them had warned us ten times over, 'They are coming up against us from every place they live in,'
7 men took up position in the space behind the wall at those points where it was lowest, and I organised the people by families with their swords, spears and bows.
8 Aware of their anxiety, I then addressed the nobles, the officials and the rest of the people, 'Do not be afraid of them. Remember the great and awe-inspiring Lord and fight for your kinsmen, your sons, your daughters, your wives and your homes.'
9 Once our enemies heard that we were forewarned and that God had thwarted their plan, they withdrew and we all went back to the wall, each one to his work.
16 At the same time I also told the people, 'Let every man, with his attendant, spend the night inside Jerusalem; we shall spend the night on guard and the day at work.'
17 Neither I, nor my brothers, nor my attendants, nor my bodyguards, ever took off our clothes; each one kept his spear in his right hand.
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 89:4-5, 29-30, 31-32, 33-34
Gospel, Matthew 6:24-34
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- St. Joseph Cafasso: Saint of the Day for Saturday, June 23, 2018
- Pope Francis has a plan to help refugees, and halt the tide of ...
- Daily Readings for Saturday, June 23, 2018
- The Catholic Church's Role with Refugees in the U.S.
- St. Thomas More and St. John Fisher: Catholic Martyrs
- Pope Francis: Take in refugees, invest in poor countries
- Daily Reading for Monday, June 25th, 2018 HD Video
- Living the Catholic Way: The Church HD
- Living Words with Deacon Kieth Fournier - The Apostle Paul's Second Letter to the Corinthians HD
- Living Words with Deacon Keith Fournier - The Apostle Paul's words to the Galatians HD
- Living Words with Deacon Keith Fournier - John 3:16 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education