Genesis - Chapter 50
1 At this Joseph threw himself on his father's face, covering it with tears and kisses.
2 Then Joseph ordered the doctors in his service to embalm his father. The doctors embalmed Israel,
4 When the period of mourning for him was over, Joseph said to Pharaoh's household, 'If you have any affection for me, see that this message reaches Pharaoh's ears,
5 "My father put me under oath, saying: I am about to die. In the tomb which I dug for myself in Canaan, that is where you are to bury me. So may I have leave to go up and bury my father, and then come back?" '
10 On arriving at Goren-ha-Atad, which is across the Jordan, they there held a long and solemn lamentation, and Joseph observed seven days' mourning for his father.
11 When the Canaanites, the local inhabitants, witnessed the mourning at Goren-ha-Atad, they said, 'This is a solemn act of mourning by the Egyptians,' which is why the place was given the name Abel-Mizraim-it is across the Jordan.
13 His sons carried him to Canaan and buried him in the cave in the field at Machpelah, facing Mamre, which Abraham had bought from Ephron the Hittite as a burial site of his own.
15 Seeing that their father was dead, Joseph's brothers said, 'What if Joseph intends to treat us as enemies and pay us back for all the wrong we did him?'
17 "You are to say to Joseph: Now please forgive the crime and faults of your brothers and all the wrong they did you." So now please forgive the crime of the servants of your father's God.' Joseph wept at the message they sent to him.
19 But Joseph replied, 'Do not be afraid; is it for me to put myself in God's place?
20 The evil you planned to do me has by God's design been turned to good, to bring about the present result: the survival of a numerous people.
24 At length Joseph said to his brothers, 'I am about to die; but God will be sure to remember you kindly and take you out of this country to the country which he promised on oath to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.'
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 105:6-7, 8-9, 42-43
Gospel, Luke 12:8-12
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Saturday, October 21, 2017
- Day 1 - Novena to the Saints in Heaven for the saints on earth HD Video
- Day 2 - Novena to the Saints in Heaven for the saints on earth HD Video
- Pope continues work toward reconciliation with Methodists
- St. Hilarion: Saint of the Day for Saturday, October 21, 2017
- Evil George Soros transfers $18 billion to support abortion, destroy ...
- Will Europe return to its Christian roots?
- Evil money - George Soros pays to start a revolution in America HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, October 24th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, October 25th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, October 23rd, 2017 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way