Genesis - Chapter 18
7 Then, running to the herd, Abraham took a fine and tender calf and gave it to the servant, who hurried to prepare it.
10 Then his guest said, 'I shall come back to you next year, and then your wife Sarah will have a son.' Sarah was listening at the entrance of the tent behind him.
11 Now Abraham and Sarah were old, well on in years, and Sarah had ceased to have her monthly periods.
13 But Yahweh asked Abraham, 'Why did Sarah laugh and say, "Am I really going to have a child now that I am old?"
15 Sarah said, 'I did not laugh,' lying because she was afraid. But he replied, 'Oh yes, you did laugh.'
16 From there the men set out and arrived within sight of Sodom, with Abraham accompanying them to speed them on their way.
19 For I have singled him out to command his sons and his family after him to keep the way of Yahweh by doing what is upright and just, so that Yahweh can carry out for Abraham what he has promised him.'
22 While the men left there and went to Sodom, Yahweh remained in Abraham's presence.
26 Yahweh replied, 'If I find fifty upright people in the city of Sodom, I will spare the whole place because of them.'
Reading 1, Judges 9:6-15: 6 All the leading men of Shechem and all Beth-Millo then met and ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 21:2-3, 4-5, 6-7: 2 You have granted him his heart's desire, ... Gospel, Matthew 20:1-16: 1 'Now the kingdom of Heaven is like a landowner going out at ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Cultured meats coming to a store near you in 2018
- Here are four martyrs who died, protecting the seal of confession
- St. Philip Benizi: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, August 23, 2017
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, August 23, 2017
- Trump announces new Afghan strategy - do we get to win this time? HD ...
- New research shows global warming is not your fault. Here's why
- Does the Aug 21 eclipse spell doom for humanity? HD Video
- saint elizabeth
- saint paul
- saint christopher
- st mary
- nicene creed
- our lady of guadalupe
- saint francis of assisi
- young children
- Saint Nicole
- st. michael
- saint francis
- st nicholas
- all saints day
- list of saints
- st anne
- st christopher
- St. Joseph
- juan diego
- francis of assisi
- Daily Reading for Thursday, August 24th, 2017 HD
- 10 US Sailors missing after serious collision in Southeast Asian waters HD
- Jerry Lewis passes away at 91, was most proud of his family HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017 HD