Genesis - Chapter 23
1 The length of Sarah's life was a hundred and twenty-seven years.
3 Then rising from beside his dead, Abraham spoke to the Hittites,
5 The Hittites replied to Abraham,
6 'Please listen to us, my lord, we regard you as a prince of God; bury your dead in the best of our tombs; not one of us would refuse you his tomb for you to bury your dead.'
7 At this, Abraham rose and bowed low to the local people, the Hittites,
10 Now Ephron was sitting among the Hittites, and Ephron the Hittite answered Abraham in the hearing of the Hittites, of all the inhabitants of his town.
13 and, in the hearing of the local people, replied to Ephron as follows, 'Be good enough to listen to me. I shall pay the price of the field; accept it from me and I shall bury my dead there.'
16 Abraham agreed to Ephron's terms, and Abraham weighed out for Ephron the silver he had stipulated in the hearing of the Hittites, namely four hundred shekels of silver, according to the current commercial rate.
20 And so the field and the cave in it passed from the Hittites into Abraham's possession as a burial site of his own.
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 100:2, 3, 4, 5
Gospel, Luke 8:4-15
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Sunday, September 24, 2017
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, September 26th, 2017 HD Video
- North Korea threatens to test H-Bomb over Pacific
- Daily Reading for Monday, September 25th, 2017 HD Video
- At UN, the Vatican asks all nations to help in fight against human ...
- It's time to regulate Facebook and other social media
- Martyrs of Chalcedon: Saint of the Day for Sunday, September 24, 2017
- Woman photographs angel in flight, is it here to deliver a message? HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, September 24th, 2017 HD
- Hurricane Maria: The worst disaster for Puerto Rico HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, September 23rd, 2017 HD