Genesis - Chapter 42
6 It was Joseph, as the man in authority over the country, who allocated the rations to the entire population. So Joseph's brothers went and bowed down before him, their faces touching the ground.
7 As soon as Joseph saw his brothers he recognised them. But he did not make himself known to them, and he spoke harshly to them. 'Where have you come from?' he asked. 'From Canaan to get food,' they replied.
8 Now when Joseph recognised his brothers, but they did not recognise him,
13 'Your servants were twelve brothers,' they said, 'sons of the same man in Canaan, but the youngest is at present with our father, and the other one is no more.'
14 To which Joseph retorted, 'It is as I said, you are spies.
16 Send one of your number to fetch your brother; you others will remain under arrest, so that your statements can be tested to see whether or not you are honest. If not, then as sure as Pharaoh lives you are spies.'
21 And they said to one another, 'Clearly, we are being punished for what we did to our brother. We saw his deep misery when he pleaded with us, but we would not listen, and now this misery has come home to us.'
23 They did not know that Joseph understood, because there was an interpreter between them.
24 He turned away from them and wept. When he was able to speak to them again, he chose Simeon out of their number and had him bound while they looked on.
28 He said to his brothers, 'My money has been put back; here it is, in my sack!' Their hearts sank, and they looked at one another in panic, saying, 'What is this that God has done to us?'
29 Returning to their father Jacob in Canaan, they gave him a full report of what had happened to them,
34 but bring me back your youngest brother and then I shall know that you are not spies but honest men. Then I shall give your brother back to you and you will be free to move about the country." '
38 But he replied, 'My son is not going down with you, for now his brother is dead he is the only one left. If any harm came to him on the journey you are undertaking, you would send my white head down to Sheol with grief!'
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 145:2-3, 8-9, 17-18
Gospel, Matthew 20:1-16
Reading 2, Philippians 1:20-24, 27
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- Martyrs of Chalcedon: Saint of the Day for Sunday, September 24, 2017
- North Korea threatens to test H-Bomb over Pacific
- Daily Reading for Monday, September 25th, 2017 HD Video
- It's time to regulate Facebook and other social media
- Daily Readings for Sunday, September 24, 2017
- At UN, the Vatican asks all nations to help in fight against human ...
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, September 26th, 2017 HD Video
- Woman photographs angel in flight, is it here to deliver a message? HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, September 24th, 2017 HD
- Hurricane Maria: The worst disaster for Puerto Rico HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, September 23rd, 2017 HD