Genesis - Chapter 33
4 But Esau ran to meet him, took him in his arms, threw himself on his neck and wept as he kissed him.
9 'Brother, I have plenty,' Esau answered, 'keep what is yours.'
15 Esau then said, 'At least let me leave you some of the people who are with me.' 'What for?' Jacob asked. 'Please indulge me, my lord!'
16 So that day Esau turned back towards Seir,
17 but Jacob made his way to Succoth, where he built himself a house and made shelters for his livestock; that is why the place was given the name of Succoth.
20 There he erected an altar which he called 'El, God of Israel'.
Reading 1, Deuteronomy 34:1-12: 1 Then, leaving the Plains of Moab, Moses went up Mount ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 66:1-3, 5, 8, 16-17: 1 [For the choirmaster Song Psalm] Acclaim ... Gospel, Matthew 18:15-20: 15 'If your brother does something wrong, go and have it out ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Pro-life wins in Texas with new law to protect religious freedom and ...
- Over 20 million people facing starvation - and we should care!
- Get ready for self checkout everywhere: 3.5 million retail cashiers ...
- Should history be rewritten to appease the angry? HD Video
- North Korea launches purge against Christians as faith spreads across ...
- St. Clare of Montefalco: Saint of the Day for Thursday, August 17, 2017
- Daily Readings for Thursday, August 17, 2017
- Daily Reading for Friday, August 18th, 2017 HD
- Catholic Online YouTube HD
- Today is the Feast of the Assumption. Why do we celebrate it? HD
- North Korea backs down in face of U.S. threat, but why? HD