Genesis - Chapter 34
7 when Jacob's sons returned from the countryside and heard the news; the men were outraged and infuriated that Shechem had insulted Israel by sleeping with Jacob's daughter -- a thing totally unacceptable.
10 We can live together, and the country will be open to you, for you to live in, and move about in, and acquire holdings.'
11 Then Shechem addressed the girl's father and brothers, 'Grant me this favour, and I will give you whatever you ask.
12 Demand as high a bride-price from me as you please, and I will pay as much as you ask. Only let me marry the girl.'
14 'We cannot do this,' they said to them. 'To give our sister to an uncircumcised man would be a disgrace for us.
17 But if you will not agree to our terms about being circumcised, we shall take our daughter and go.'
19 The young man did not hesitate about doing this, for he was deeply in love with Jacob's daughter. Moreover he was the most respected member of his entire family.
22 But these men will agree to settle with us and become a single nation only on this condition: that all our males be circumcised like them.
25 Now on the third day, when the men were still in pain, Jacob's two sons Simeon and Levi, Dinah's brothers, each took his sword and advanced unopposed against the town and slaughtered all the males.
29 and all their possessions. They took all their children and wives captive and looted everything to be found in the houses.
30 Jacob said to Simeon and Levi, 'You have done me an ill turn by bringing me into bad odour with the people of the region, the Canaanites and the Perizzites. I have few men, whereas they will unite against me to defeat me and destroy me and my family.'
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 23:1-3, 3-4, 5, 6
Gospel, Matthew 16:13-19
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- 10 emotional prayers for healing and hope in a world of tragedy
- 'Living Lent': Friday of the First Week of Lent - Day 10
- Lenten fish recipes: Economical and delicious!
- Daily Reading for Saturday, February 24th, 2018 HD Video
- Daily Readings for Thursday, February 22, 2018
- St. Margaret of Cortona: Saint of the Day for Thursday, February 22, 2018
- The Tragic Reason Mass Shootings Happen, and it's NOT the guns HD Video
- Spiritual Warfare and the Help of Angels HD
- St. Lawrence, Deacon and Martyr HD
- Daily Reading for Friday, February 23rd, 2018 HD
- AmericaĂ˘Â€Â™s pastor, Billy Graham passes away, age 99 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education