Genesis - Chapter 37
1 But Jacob settled in the land where his father had stayed, the land of Canaan.
2 This is the story of Joseph. Joseph was seventeen years old. As he was young, he was shepherding the flock with his brothers, with the sons of his father's wives, Bilhah and Zilpah; and Joseph brought his father bad reports about them.
5 Now Joseph had a dream, and he repeated it to his brothers, who then hated him more than ever.
8 'So you want to be king over us,' his brothers retorted, 'you want to lord it over us?' And they hated him even more, on account of his dreams and of what he said.
10 He told his father and brothers, and his father scolded him. 'A fine dream to have!' he said to him. 'Are all of us then, myself, your mother and your brothers, to come and bow to the ground before you?'
14 He said to him, 'Go and see how your brothers and the flock are doing, and bring me word.' He sent him from the valley of Hebron, and Joseph arrived at Shechem.
15 A man found him wandering in the countryside and asked him, 'What are you looking for ? '
21 But Reuben heard, and he saved him from their clutches. 'We must not take his life,' he said.
22 'Shed no blood,' said Reuben to them, 'throw him down that well out in the desert, but do not kill him yourselves' -- intending to save him from them and to restore him to his father.
25 They then sat down to eat. Looking up, they saw a group of Ishmaelites who were coming from Gilead, their camels laden with gum tragacanth, balsam and resin, which they were taking to Egypt.
29 When Reuben went back to the well, there was no sign of Joseph. Tearing his clothes,
33 He recognised it and cried, 'My son's tunic! A wild animal has devoured him! Joseph has been torn to pieces!'
34 Tearing his clothes and putting sackcloth round his waist, Jacob mourned his son for many days.
35 All his sons and daughters tried to comfort him, but he refused to be comforted. 'No,' he said, 'I will go down to Sheol in mourning and join my son.' Thus his father wept for him.
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Luke 1:69-70, 71-72, 73-75
Gospel, Luke 12:13-21
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, October 24, 2017
- St. Anthony Mary Claret: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, October 24, 2017
- Are you called to be a missionary? The answer is YES YOU ARE!
- Skeptic explores demonic possession, admits it can be 'very real' HD ...
- Day 2 - Novena to the Saints in Heaven for the saints on earth HD Video
- Skeptic filmmaker explores demonic possession, admits it can be 'very ...
- Pope Francis speaks about putting God first and reality
- Day 1 - Novena to the Saints in Heaven for the saints on earth HD
- Evil money - George Soros pays to start a revolution in America HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, October 24th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, October 25th, 2017 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way