Genesis - Chapter 48
3 'El Shaddai appeared to me at Luz in Canaan,' Jacob told Joseph, 'and he blessed me,
6 But with regard to the children you have had since them, they shall be yours, and they shall be known by their brothers' names for the purpose of their inheritance.
7 'When I was on my way from Paddan, to my sorrow death took your mother Rachel from me in Canaan, on the journey while only a short distance from Ephrath. I buried her there on the road to Ephrath -- now Bethlehem.'
10 Now, Israel's eyes were dim with age, and he could not see. So Joseph made them come closer to him and he kissed and embraced them.
12 Then Joseph took them from his lap and bowed to the ground.
13 Then Joseph took the two of them, Ephraim with his right hand so that he should be on Israel's left, and Manasseh with his left hand, so that he should be on Israel's right, and brought them close to him.
14 But Israel held out his right hand and laid it on the head of Ephraim, the younger, and his left on the head of Manasseh, crossing his hands -- Manasseh was, in fact, the elder.
17 Joseph saw that his father was laying his right hand on the head of Ephraim, and this he thought was wrong, so he took his father's hand and tried to shift it from the head of Ephraim to the head of Manasseh.
18 Joseph protested to his father, 'Not like that, father! This one is the elder; put your right hand on his head.'
19 But his father refused. 'I know, my son, I know,' he said. 'He too shall become a people; he too will be great. But his younger brother will be greater, his offspring will be sufficient to constitute nations.'
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 51:3-4, 12-13, 18-19
Gospel, Luke 11:29-32
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- St. Severian: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, February 21, 2018
- Are your cleaning products making you sick?
- British Court rules: Bermuda's actions to defend marriage will stand
- Pope Francis accepts bishop's resignation
- Cleaning products could be damaging to your health HD Video
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, February 21, 2018
- Daily Reading for Thursday, February 22nd, 2018 HD Video
- St. Patrick HD
- Deadly Flu Season: Vaccine only 36 percent effective during worst season in years HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, February 21st, 2018 HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, February 20th, 2018 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education