Genesis - Chapter 7
3 (and of the birds of heaven, seven pairs, a male and its female), to preserve their species throughout the earth.
4 For in seven days' time I shall make it rain on earth for forty days and forty nights, and I shall wipe every creature I have made off the face of the earth.'
5 Noah did exactly as Yahweh commanded him.
9 one pair boarded the ark with Noah, one male and one female, as God had commanded Noah.)
11 In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, and on the seventeenth day of the month, that very day all the springs of the great deep burst through, and the sluices of heaven opened.
13 That very day Noah and his sons Shem, Ham and Japheth boarded the ark, with Noah's wife and the three wives of his sons,
14 and with them every species of wild animal, every species of cattle, every species of creeping things that creep along the ground, every species of bird, everything that flies, everything with wings.
15 One pair of all that was alive and had the breath of life boarded the ark with Noah,
19 The waters rose higher and higher above the ground until all the highest mountains under the whole of heaven were submerged.
22 Everything with the least breath of life in its nostrils, everything on dry land, died.
23 Every living thing on the face of the earth was wiped out, people, animals, creeping things and birds; they were wiped off the earth and only Noah was left, and those with him in the ark.
Reading 1, Deuteronomy 34:1-12: 1 Then, leaving the Plains of Moab, Moses went up Mount ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 66:1-3, 5, 8, 16-17: 1 [For the choirmaster Song Psalm] Acclaim ... Gospel, Matthew 18:15-20: 15 'If your brother does something wrong, go and have it out ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, August 16, 2017
- Today is the Feast of the Assumption. Why do we celebrate it? HD Video
- St. Stephen the Great: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, August 16, 2017
- North Korea backs down in face of U.S. threat, but why? HD Video
- Corrupt media censoring news of lawsuit against Democratic National ...
- People in Yemen are dying of a foul and dreaded disease as civil war ...
- The Vatican has a list of films you should see. Some of these will ...
- Daily Reading for Thursday, August 17th, 2017 HD
- Warning to California: Volcanoes could erupt, endangering half the state HD
- With eclipse near, Pope Francis warns against astrology and fortune telling HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, August 16th, 2017 HD