Genesis - Chapter 21
5 Abraham was a hundred years old when his son Isaac was born to him.
7 She added: Whoever would have told Abraham that Sarah would nurse children! Yet I have borne a son in his old age.
19 Then God opened Hagar's eyes and she saw a well, so she went and filled the skin with water and gave the boy a drink.
21 He made his home in the desert of Paran, and his mother got him a wife from Egypt.
22 About then, Abimelech and Phicol, the commander of his army, said to Abraham, 'Since God is with you in everything you do,
23 swear to me by God, here and now, that you will not act treacherously towards me or my kith and kin, but behave with the same faithful love to me and the land of which you are a guest as I have behaved to you.'
24 'Yes,' Abraham replied, 'I swear it.'
33 And Abraham planted a tamarisk at Beersheba and there he invoked the name of Yahweh.
Reading 1, Sirach 6:5-17: 5 A kindly turn of speech attracts new friends, a courteous ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 119:12, 16, 18, 27, 34, 35: 12 Blessed are you, Yahweh, teach ... Gospel, Mark 10:1-12: 1 After leaving there, he came into the territory of Judaea and ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Urgent action necessary for 5.5 million people starving in South ...
- Evil federal judge rules Texas MUST fund Planned Parenthood
- Pope Francis' call to action!
- St. John Theristus: Saint of the Day for Friday, February 24, 2017
- Atheist teacher accuses Christian students of harassment for inviting ...
- Trump dumps Obama's transgender restroom policy HD Video
- Daily Readings for Friday, February 24, 2017
- Daily Reading for Saturday, February 25th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Friday, February 24th, 2017 HD
- Scientists predict Biblical flood for California HD
- New pilgrimage route recreates Jesus' footsteps HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.