Isaiah - Chapter 53
2 Like a sapling he grew up before him, like a root in arid ground. He had no form or charm to attract us, no beauty to win our hearts;
3 he was despised, the lowest of men, a man of sorrows, familiar with suffering, one from whom, as it were, we averted our gaze, despised, for whom we had no regard.
9 He was given a grave with the wicked, and his tomb is with the rich, although he had done no violence, had spoken no deceit.
12 Hence I shall give him a portion with the many, and he will share the booty with the mighty, for having exposed himself to death and for being counted as one of the rebellious, whereas he was bearing the sin of many and interceding for the rebellious.
Reading 1, Exodus 19:1-2, 9-11, 16-20: 1 Three months to the day after leaving Egypt, the ... Responsorial Psalm, Daniel 3:52, 53, 54, 55, 56: 53 May you be blessed in the Temple of ... Gospel, Matthew 13:10-17: 10 Then the disciples went up to him and asked, 'Why do you talk ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Reading for Saturday, July 29th, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Readings for Friday, July 28, 2017
- Can the Church foster peace in the Holy Land?
- What can you expect when you die? Science provides an answer HD Video
- Cardinal Pell faces court for the first time in Australia
- Doctors test CRISPR technique on babies, then abort them
- St. Innocent I: Saint of the Day for Friday, July 28, 2017
- Daily Reading for Friday, July 28th, 2017 HD
- Archaeologists discover Tabernacle that held the Ark HD
- Shut off? What happened to the Vatican water supply! HD
- Daily Reading for Thursday, July 27th, 2017 HD