Ecclesiasticus / Sirach - Chapter 23
Ecclesiasticus / Sirach Chapters
4 Lord, father and God of my life, do not let my eyes be proud,
5 turn envy away from me,
6 do not let lechery and lust grip me, do not leave me a prey to shameless desire.
7 Children, listen to what I teach, no one who keeps it will be caught out.
11 A man for ever swearing is full of iniquity, and the scourge will not depart from his house. If he offends, his sin will be on him, if he did it unheedingly, he has doubly sinned; if he swears a false oath, he will not be treated as innocent, for his house will be filled with calamities.
13 Do not get into the habit of using coarse and foul language since this involves sinful words.
14 Remember your father and mother when you are sitting with the great, for fear you forget yourself in their presence and behave like a fool, and then wish you had not been born and curse the day of your birth.
17 desire, blazing like a furnace, will not die down until it has been sated- the man who lusts after members of his own family is not going to stop until he is quite burnt out; every food is sweet to the promiscuous, and he will not desist until he dies;
18 and the man who sins against the marriage bed and says to himself, 'Who can see me? There is darkness all round me, the walls hide me, no one can see me, why should I worry? The Most High will not remember my sins.'
19 What he fears are human eyes, he does not realise that the eyes of the Lord are ten thousand times brighter than the sun, observing every aspect of human behaviour, seeing into the most secret corners.
22 Similarly the woman unfaithful to her husband, who provides him with an heir by another man:
23 first, she has disobeyed the Law of the Most High; secondly, she has been false to her husband; and thirdly, she has gone whoring in adultery
27 And those who survive her will recognise that nothing is better than fearing the Lord, and nothing sweeter than adherence to the Lord's commandments.
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 80:2-3, 15-16, 18-19
Gospel, Matthew 17:10-13
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- Australia asks Church to end celibacy and confession to fight child ...
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, December 19th, 2017 HD Video
- Commission recommends Church end priestly celibacy and confession to ...
- St. Olympias: Saint of the Day for Sunday, December 17, 2017
- Church reviews possible Catholic hospital mega-merger
- Daily Readings for Sunday, December 17, 2017
- Indonesia rejects law that would criminalize sex outside of marriage
- Daily Reading for Monday, December 18th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, December 17th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, December 16th, 2017 HD
- The Net Neutrality Scam: Get ready to pay a lot more for a lot less HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way