Ecclesiasticus / Sirach - Chapter 18
Ecclesiasticus / Sirach Chapters
8 What is a human being, what purpose does he serve? What is good and what is bad for him?
11 This is why the Lord is patient with them and pours out his mercy on them.
15 My child, do not temper your favours with blame nor any of your gifts with words that hurt.
18 A fool will offer nothing but insult, and a grudging gift makes the eyes smart.
20 Examine yourself before judgement comes, and on the day of visitation you will be acquitted.
21 Humble yourself before you fall ill, repent as soon as the sin is committed.
22 Let nothing prevent your discharging a vow in good time, and do not wait till death to set matters right.
26 The time slips by between dawn and dusk, everything passes quickly for the Lord.
29 Those who understand sayings have toiled for their wisdom and have poured out accurate maxims.
31 If you allow yourself to satisfy your desires, this will make you the laughing-stock of your enemies.
Reading 1, Acts 2:14, 22-28: 14 Then Peter stood up with the Eleven and addressed them in ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 16:1-2, 5, 7-8, 9-10, 11: 1 [In a quiet voice Of David] Protect ... Gospel, Luke 24:13-35: 13 Now that very same day, two of them were on their way to a ... ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Monday, May 01, 2017
- READ NOW - Full transcript of Pope Francis' nuclear war in-flight message
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017 HD Video
- 'Correspond with the Pope' - Woman's inspiring journey to honor late ...
- St. Marculf: Saint of the Day for Monday, May 01, 2017
- Pope Francis arrives in Egypt with powerful message HD Video
- Pope Francis talks nuclear war - 'Things are already hot'
- Daily Reading for Monday, May 1st, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, April 30th, 2017 HD
- Day 9 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD
- Day 8 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.