Ecclesiasticus / Sirach - Chapter 18
Ecclesiasticus / Sirach Chapters
8 What is a human being, what purpose does he serve? What is good and what is bad for him?
11 This is why the Lord is patient with them and pours out his mercy on them.
15 My child, do not temper your favours with blame nor any of your gifts with words that hurt.
18 A fool will offer nothing but insult, and a grudging gift makes the eyes smart.
20 Examine yourself before judgement comes, and on the day of visitation you will be acquitted.
21 Humble yourself before you fall ill, repent as soon as the sin is committed.
22 Let nothing prevent your discharging a vow in good time, and do not wait till death to set matters right.
26 The time slips by between dawn and dusk, everything passes quickly for the Lord.
29 Those who understand sayings have toiled for their wisdom and have poured out accurate maxims.
31 If you allow yourself to satisfy your desires, this will make you the laughing-stock of your enemies.
Reading 1, Sirach 6:5-17: 5 A kindly turn of speech attracts new friends, a courteous ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 119:12, 16, 18, 27, 34, 35: 12 Blessed are you, Yahweh, teach ... Gospel, Mark 10:1-12: 1 After leaving there, he came into the territory of Judaea and ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, February 28th, 2017 HD Video
- Clinton contributor makes revealing 'life insurance' video over fear ...
- Christians warn against witches 'binding spell' of U.S. President ...
- 92-year-old woman blessed with gift to help newborns
- Daily Readings for Saturday, February 25, 2017
- Your Daily Inspirational Meme: Thank you, Lord, for always being ...
- St. Tarasius: Saint of the Day for Saturday, February 25, 2017
- Daily Reading for Monday, February 27th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, February 26th, 2017 HD
- Urgent action necessary for 5.5 million people starving in South Sudan HD
- Trump dumps Obama's transgender restroom policy HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.