Ecclesiasticus / Sirach - Chapter 40
Ecclesiasticus / Sirach Chapters
3 From the one who sits on a glorious throne to the wretch in dust and ashes,
13 Ill-gotten wealth will vanish like a torrent, like the single thunder-clap that heralds rain.
15 The sprigs of the godless will not make many branches, tainted roots find only hard rock.
17 Charity is a very paradise of blessing and almsgiving endures for ever.
22 The eye longs for grace and beauty; better than either, the green of spring corn.
24 Brothers and allies are good in times of trouble; better than either, almsgiving to the rescue.
26 Money and strength make a confident heart; better than either, the fear of the Lord. With fear of the Lord, nothing is lacking: no need to seek for other help.
27 Fear of the Lord is a paradise of blessing, a better protection than the highest reputation.
Reading 1, Genesis 12:1-9: 1 Yahweh said to Abram, 'Leave your country, your kindred and ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 33:12-13, 18-19, 20, 22: 12 How blessed the nation whose God is ... Gospel, Matthew 7:1-5: 1 'Do not judge, and you will not be judged;2 because the ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Catholic hero gifted most prestigous award after saving woman's life ...
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, June 27th, 2017 HD Video
- St. Anthelm: Saint of the Day for Monday, June 26, 2017
- Is the 'Gaucho Priest' the Devil's worst nightmare?
- Daily Reading for Monday, June 26th, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Readings for Monday, June 26, 2017
- Slovakia Catholics gift Iceland with a beautiful new church
- Daily Reading for Sunday, June 25th, 2017 HD
- Pope Francis prepares an incredible gift of love and solidarity for South Sudan HD
- St. Emma HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, June 24th, 2017 HD