Ecclesiasticus / Sirach - Chapter 40
Ecclesiasticus / Sirach Chapters
3 From the one who sits on a glorious throne to the wretch in dust and ashes,
13 Ill-gotten wealth will vanish like a torrent, like the single thunder-clap that heralds rain.
15 The sprigs of the godless will not make many branches, tainted roots find only hard rock.
17 Charity is a very paradise of blessing and almsgiving endures for ever.
22 The eye longs for grace and beauty; better than either, the green of spring corn.
24 Brothers and allies are good in times of trouble; better than either, almsgiving to the rescue.
26 Money and strength make a confident heart; better than either, the fear of the Lord. With fear of the Lord, nothing is lacking: no need to seek for other help.
27 Fear of the Lord is a paradise of blessing, a better protection than the highest reputation.
Reading 1, Isaiah 65:17-21: 17 For look, I am going to create new heavens and a new earth, ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 30:2, 4, 5-6, 11-13: 2 Yahweh, my God, I cried to you for help ... Gospel, John 4:43-54: 43 When the two days were over Jesus left for Galilee.44 He himself ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, March 28, 2017
- Catholic Archdiocese of Mexico calls out 'traitor' Mexicans HD Video
- Pope Francis in Milan - What did he do and how will he conclude his ...
- St. Venturino of Bergamo: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, March 28, 2017
- What warning did Pope Francis deliver to all Christians?
- Supermassive black hole discovered surfing gravitational wave HD Video
- 'Living Lent': Tuesday of the Fourth Week of Lent - Day 28
- Daily Reading for Sunday, March 26th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, March 28th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, March 27th, 2017 HD
- Adorable girl captured stealing Pope Francis' hat in hilarious footage HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.