Ecclesiasticus / Sirach - Chapter 3
Ecclesiasticus / Sirach Chapters
7 Such a one serves parents as well as the Lord.
8 Respect your father in deed as well as word, so that blessing may come on you from him;
9 since a father's blessing makes his children's house firm, while a mother's curse tears up its foundations.
10 Do not make a boast of disgrace overtaking your father, your father's disgrace reflects no honour on you;
11 for a person's own honour derives from the respect shown to his father, and a mother held in dishonour is a reproach to her children.
13 Even if his mind should fail, show him sympathy, do not despise him in your health and strength;
17 My child, be gentle in carrying out your business, and you will be better loved than a lavish giver.
18 The greater you are, the more humbly you should behave, and then you will find favour with the Lord;
20 for great though the power of the Lord is, he accepts the homage of the humble.
24 For many have been misled by their own notions, wicked presumption having warped their judgement.
27 A stubborn heart is weighed down with troubles, the sinner heaps sin on sin.
28 For the disease of the proud there is no cure, since an evil growth has taken root there.
29 The heart of the sensible will reflect on parables, an attentive ear is the sage's dream.
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 49:6-7, 8-10, 17-18, 19-20
Gospel, Luke 8:1-3
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- It's time to regulate Facebook and other social media
- At UN, the Vatican asks all nations to help in fight against human ...
- North Korea threatens to test H-Bomb over Pacific
- St. Thomas of Villanueva: Saint of the Day for Friday, September 22, 2017
- Woman photographs angel in flight, is it here to deliver a message? ...
- Daily Reading for Sunday, September 24th, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Readings for Friday, September 22, 2017
- Hurricane Maria: The worst disaster for Puerto Rico HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, September 23rd, 2017 HD
- Terrifying earthquake collapses buildings in Mexico City, hundreds dead HD
- Daily Reading for Friday, September 22nd, 2017 HD