Ecclesiasticus / Sirach - Chapter 38
Ecclesiasticus / Sirach Chapters
5 Did not a piece of wood once sweeten the water, thus giving proof of its power?
7 He uses these for healing and relieving pain; the druggist makes up a mixture from them.
11 Offer incense and a memorial of fine flour, make as rich an offering as you can afford.
13 There are times when good health depends on doctors.
19 In affliction sorrow persists, a life of grief is hard to bear.
21 Do not forget, there is no coming back; you cannot help the dead, and you will harm yourself.
22 'Remember my doom, since it will be yours too; I yesterday, you today!'
24 Leisure gives the scribe the chance to acquire wisdom; a man with few commitments can grow wise.
25 How can the ploughman become wise, whose sole ambition is to wield the goad, driving his oxen, engrossed in their work, his conversation limited to bullocks,
27 Similarly with all workmen and craftsmen, toiling day and night; those who engrave seals, for ever trying to think of a new design, concentrating on catching a good likeness and staying up late to get the work done.
28 Similarly with the blacksmith sitting by his anvil; he considers what to do with the pig-iron, the breath of the fire scorches his skin, as he contends with the heat of the furnace; the noise of the hammer deafens him, his eyes are fixed on the pattern; he concentrates on getting the job done well and stays up late to apply the finishing touches.
30 he pummels the clay with his arm, and with his feet he kneads it; he concentrates on applying the glaze right and stays up late to clean the kiln.
33 But you will not find them in the parliament, they do not hold high rank in the assembly. They do not sit on the judicial bench, and they do not meditate on the Law.
34 They are not remarkable for their culture or judgement, nor are they found frequenting the philosophers. They sustain the structure of the world, and their prayer is concerned with their trade.
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 122:1-2, 3-4, 4-5
Gospel, Luke 8:19-21
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- Is Pope Francis a heretic? Formal letter of correction made public
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, September 27th, 2017 HD Video
- Prayers for Puerto Rico - Residents without food, water or ...
- Church tricked into hosting satanic fashion show
- Sts. Cosmas & Damian: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, September 26, 2017
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, September 26, 2017
- Trump speech rocks NFL as more players protest during Anthem HD Video
- daily readings
- saint george
- saint james
- Saint Patrick
- st. francis
- st. jude
- st. peter
- mother theresa
- st james
- st joan of arc
- advent prayers
- St Joseph
- ten commandments
- Pope Francis
- saint agnes
- St Anthony
- 10 commandments
- mary magdalene
- Patron saints
- st bernadette
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, September 26th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, September 25th, 2017 HD
- Woman photographs angel in flight, is it here to deliver a message? HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, September 24th, 2017 HD