Ecclesiasticus / Sirach - Chapter 42
Ecclesiasticus / Sirach Chapters
1 The following things you should not be ashamed of, and do not sin from fear of what others think:
2 of the Law of the Most High or of the covenant, of a verdict that acquits the godless,
3 of keeping accounts with a travelling companion, of settling property on your friends,
5 of gaining from commercial transactions, of disciplining your children strictly, of lashing a wicked slave till you draw blood.
16 The shining sun looks down on all things, and the work of the Lord is full of his glory.
18 He has fathomed both the abyss and the human heart and seen into their devious ways; for the Most High knows all there is to know and sees the signs of the times.
19 He declares what is past and what will be, and reveals the trend of hidden things.
Reading 1, Acts 5:17-26: 17 Then the high priest intervened with all his supporters from ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 34:2-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8-9: 2 I will praise Yahweh from my heart; ... Gospel, John 3:16-21: 16 For this is how God loved the world: he gave his only Son, so ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Reading for Thursday, April 27th, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, April 26, 2017
- CHRIST'S PROMISE: Pope Francis reveals the power of Christian hope
- Day 6 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD Video
- St. Cletus: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, April 26, 2017
- Pray the Rosary - 7 tips on how to pray more deeply
- Pope Francis offers Egypt a special video message - 'I am honoured to ...
- Cherokee Nation sues drug distributors while CDC claims opioid deaths are underreported HD
- Day 5 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD
- Day 4 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, April 26th, 2017 HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.