Ecclesiasticus / Sirach - Chapter 14
Ecclesiasticus / Sirach Chapters
2 Blessed is anyone whose conscience brings no reproach and who has never given up hope.
3 Wealth is not the right thing for the niggardly, and what use are possessions to the covetous?
4 Whoever hoards by stinting himself is hoarding for others, and others will live sumptuously on his riches.
6 No one is meaner than the person who is mean to himself, this is how his wickedness repays him.
8 Wicked the person who has an envious eye, averting his face, and careless of others' lives.
11 My child, treat yourself as well as you can afford, and bring worthy offerings to the Lord.
12 Remember that death will not delay, and that you have never seen Sheol's contract.
14 Do not refuse yourself the good things of today, do not let your share of what is lawfully desired pass you by.
26 he sets his children in her shade, and camps beneath her branches;
27 he is sheltered by her from the heat, and in her glory he makes his home.
Reading 1, Song of Songs 3:1-4,: 1 On my bed at night I sought the man who is my ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 63:2, 3-4, 5-6, 8-9: 2 Thus I have gazed on you in the ... Gospel, John 20:1-2, 11-18: 1 It was very early on the first day of the week and still ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, July 25th, 2017 HD Video
- Vatican says report on abuse in Germany shows progress in fight ...
- Daily Readings for Saturday, July 22, 2017
- Many Blessings! Family celebrates 100 children
- St. Mary Magdalene: Saint of the Day for Saturday, July 22, 2017
- Video captures moment killer quake strikes in Greece
- Statues of the Virgin Mary triumphantly return to Iraq, after defeat ...
- Daily Reading for Monday, July 24th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, July 23rd, 2017 HD
- Deadbeat Republicans, do your job or GET OUT! HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, July 22nd, 2017 HD