Ecclesiasticus / Sirach - Chapter 8
Ecclesiasticus / Sirach Chapters
8 Do not scorn the discourse of the wise, but make yourself familiar with their maxims, since from these you will learn the theory and the art of serving the great.
9 Do not dismiss what the old people have to say, for they too were taught by their parents; from them you will learn how to think, and the art of the timely answer.
16 Do not argue with a quick-tempered man, do not go with him where there are no other people, since blood counts for nothing in his eyes, and where no help is to be had, he will strike you down.
17 Do not ask a fool for advice, since a fool will not be able to keep a confidence.
18 In a stranger's presence do nothing that should be kept secret, since you cannot tell what use the stranger will make of it.
19 Do not open your heart to all comers, nor lay claim to their good offices.
Reading 1, Wisdom 12:13, 16-19: 13 For there is no god, other than you, who cares for ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 86:5-6, 9-10, 15-16: 5 Lord, you are kind and forgiving, rich ... Gospel, Matthew 13:24-43: 24 He put another parable before them, 'The kingdom of Heaven ... Reading ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, July 25th, 2017 HD Video
- St. Bridget of Sweden: Saint of the Day for Sunday, July 23, 2017
- Many Blessings! Family celebrates 100 children
- Vatican says report on abuse in Germany shows progress in fight ...
- Video captures moment killer quake strikes in Greece
- Statues of the Virgin Mary triumphantly return to Iraq, after defeat ...
- Daily Readings for Sunday, July 23, 2017
- Daily Reading for Monday, July 24th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, July 23rd, 2017 HD
- Deadbeat Republicans, do your job or GET OUT! HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, July 22nd, 2017 HD