Ecclesiasticus / Sirach - Chapter 8
Ecclesiasticus / Sirach Chapters
8 Do not scorn the discourse of the wise, but make yourself familiar with their maxims, since from these you will learn the theory and the art of serving the great.
9 Do not dismiss what the old people have to say, for they too were taught by their parents; from them you will learn how to think, and the art of the timely answer.
16 Do not argue with a quick-tempered man, do not go with him where there are no other people, since blood counts for nothing in his eyes, and where no help is to be had, he will strike you down.
17 Do not ask a fool for advice, since a fool will not be able to keep a confidence.
18 In a stranger's presence do nothing that should be kept secret, since you cannot tell what use the stranger will make of it.
19 Do not open your heart to all comers, nor lay claim to their good offices.
Reading 1, Acts 18:9-18: 9 One night the Lord spoke to Paul in a vision, 'Be fearless; ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 47:2-3, 4-5, 6-7: 2 For Yahweh, the Most High, is glorious, the ... Gospel, John 16:20-23: 20 'In all truth I tell you, you will be weeping and wailing while ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Catholic Hostages: Filipino Cardinal prays for Islamic militants to ...
- A Big Thank You from JESUS IS - The Series HD Video
- Daily Readings for Saturday, May 27, 2017
- St. Augustine of Canterbury: Saint of the Day for Saturday, May 27, 2017
- First US female genital mutilation case tries to use Religious ...
- 26 Coptic Christians BRUTALLY MURDERED on bus to St. Samuel Monastery ...
- 26 Coptic Christians dead after heinous attack HD Video
- Day 5 - Novena to the Holy Spirit for a New Pentecost for the Church HD
- Day 4 - Novena to the Holy Spirit for a New Pentecost for the Church HD
- Day 3 - Novena to the Holy Spirit for a New Pentecost for the Church HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, May 31st, 2017 HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.