Ecclesiasticus / Sirach - Chapter 7
Ecclesiasticus / Sirach Chapters
2 shun wrong, and it will avoid you.
4 Do not ask the Lord for the highest place, or the king for a seat of honour.
5 Do not parade your uprightness before the Lord, or your wisdom before the king.
13 Mind you tell no lies, for no good can come of it.
16 Do not swell the ranks of sinners, remember that the retribution will not delay.
19 Do not turn against a wise and good wife; her gracious presence is worth more than gold.
25 Marry a daughter off, and you have finished a great work; but give her to a man of sense.
27 With all your heart honour your father, never forget the birthpangs of your mother.
29 With all your soul, fear the Lord and revere his priests.
32 And also give generously to the poor, so that your blessing may lack nothing.
35 Do not shrink from visiting the sick; in this way you will make yourself loved.
36 In everything you do, remember your end, and you will never sin.
Reading 1, Isaiah 49:14-15: 14 Zion was saying, 'Yahweh has abandoned me, the Lord has ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 62:2-3, 6-7, 8-9: 2 he alone is my rock, my safety, my ... Gospel, Matthew 6:24-34: 24 'No one can be the slave of two masters: he will either hate ... Reading 2, ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- St. Leander of Seville: Saint of the Day for Monday, February 27, 2017
- Daily Readings for Monday, February 27, 2017
- The world loses another Christian actor - Bill Paxton dead at 61
- 'While high on heroin, I started reading the New Testament' - Amazing ...
- Clinton contributor makes revealing 'life insurance' video over fear ...
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, February 28th, 2017 HD Video
- 110-year-old nun shares the secret to a long life
- Daily Reading for Monday, February 27th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, February 26th, 2017 HD
- Urgent action necessary for 5.5 million people starving in South Sudan HD
- Trump dumps Obama's transgender restroom policy HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.