Ecclesiasticus / Sirach - Chapter 21
Ecclesiasticus / Sirach Chapters
4 Terror and violence make havoc of riches, similarly, desolation overtakes the houses of the proud.
6 Whoever resents reproof walks in the sinner's footsteps; whoever fears the Lord is repentant of heart.
9 A meeting of the lawless is like a heap of tow: they will end in a blazing fire.
14 The heart of a fool is like a broken jar, it will not hold any knowledge.
19 To the senseless fellow instruction is like fetters on the feet, like manacles on the right hand.
21 To the shrewd instruction is like a golden ornament, like a bracelet on the right arm.
22 The step of a fool goes straight into a house, but a person of much experience makes a respectful approach;
23 the stupid peeps inside through the door, a well-bred person waits outside.
27 When the godless curses Satan, he is cursing himself.
28 The scandal-monger sullies himself and earns the hatred of the neighbourhood.
Reading 1, Exodus 11:10--12:14: 10 Moses and Aaron worked all these wonders in Pharaoh's ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 116:12-13, 15-16, 17-18: 12 What return can I make to Yahweh ... Gospel, Matthew 12:1-8: 1 At that time Jesus went through the cornfields one Sabbath day. ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, July 25th, 2017 HD Video
- Many Blessings! Family celebrates 100 children
- Statues of the Virgin Mary triumphantly return to Iraq, after defeat ...
- St. Lawrence of Brindisi: Saint of the Day for Friday, July 21, 2017
- Abortion, lies, and corruption. How we are being betrayed by those we ...
- Daily Readings for Friday, July 21, 2017
- Vatican says report on abuse in Germany shows progress in fight ...
- Daily Reading for Monday, July 24th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, July 23rd, 2017 HD
- Deadbeat Republicans, do your job or GET OUT! HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, July 22nd, 2017 HD