Ecclesiasticus / Sirach - Chapter 10
Ecclesiasticus / Sirach Chapters
3 An undisciplined king will be the ruin of his people, a city owes its prosperity to the intelligence of its leading men.
11 For in death the portion of all alike will be insects, wild animals and worms.
14 The Lord has turned mighty princes off their thrones and seated the humble there instead.
15 The Lord has plucked up the proud by the roots, and planted the lowly in their place.
16 The Lord has overthrown the lands of the nations and destroyed them to the very foundations of the earth.
17 Sometimes he has taken them away and destroyed them, and blotted out their memory from the earth.
20 A leader is honoured by his brothers, and those who fear the Lord are honoured by him.
22 The rich, the noble, the poor, let them pride themselves on fearing the Lord.
24 Magnate, magistrate, potentate, all are to be honoured, but none is greater than the one who fears the Lord.
Reading 1, Acts 6:1-7: 1 About this time, when the number of disciples was increasing, the ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 33:1-2, 4-5, 18-19: 1 Shout for joy, you upright; praise comes ... Gospel, John 6:16-21: 16 That evening the disciples went down to the shore of the sea17 ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Readings for Saturday, April 29, 2017
- It feels great to win! Here's the list of things President Trump has ...
- St. Catherine of Siena: Saint of the Day for Saturday, April 29, 2017
- Report claims extreme weather on DECLINE - but is someone lying?
- Pope Francis arrives in Egypt with powerful message HD Video
- 'Acid is now a fashionable weapon of choice' - Britain averages one ...
- Daily Reading for Monday, May 1st, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, April 30th, 2017 HD
- Day 9 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD
- Day 8 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.