Ecclesiasticus / Sirach - Chapter 10
Ecclesiasticus / Sirach Chapters
3 An undisciplined king will be the ruin of his people, a city owes its prosperity to the intelligence of its leading men.
11 For in death the portion of all alike will be insects, wild animals and worms.
14 The Lord has turned mighty princes off their thrones and seated the humble there instead.
15 The Lord has plucked up the proud by the roots, and planted the lowly in their place.
16 The Lord has overthrown the lands of the nations and destroyed them to the very foundations of the earth.
17 Sometimes he has taken them away and destroyed them, and blotted out their memory from the earth.
20 A leader is honoured by his brothers, and those who fear the Lord are honoured by him.
22 The rich, the noble, the poor, let them pride themselves on fearing the Lord.
24 Magnate, magistrate, potentate, all are to be honoured, but none is greater than the one who fears the Lord.
Reading 1, Genesis 13:2, 5-18: 2 Abram was very rich in livestock, silver and gold.5 Lot, ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 15:2-3, 3-4, 5: 2 Whoever lives blamelessly, who acts ... Gospel, Matthew 7:6, 12-14: 6 'Do not give dogs what is holy; and do not throw your pearls ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Older Catholics play IMPORTANT role in shaping new generations, says ...
- Central bankers warn of looming global recession HD Video
- Loch Ness Monster sighted again? New photo sparks debate
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, June 28th, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, June 27, 2017
- St. Cyril of Alexandria: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, June 27, 2017
- British Medical Association considers abortion until birth! 1,500 ...
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, June 27th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, June 26th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, June 25th, 2017 HD
- Pope Francis prepares an incredible gift of love and solidarity for South Sudan HD