Ecclesiasticus / Sirach - Chapter 9
Ecclesiasticus / Sirach Chapters
6 Do not give your heart to whores, or you will ruin your inheritance.
12 Do not take pleasure in what pleases the godless; remember they will not go unpunished here below.
13 Keep your distance from the man who has the power to put to death, and you will not be haunted by the fear of dying. If you do approach him, make no false move, or he may take your life. Realise that you are treading among trip-lines, that you are strolling on the battlements.
15 For conversation seek the intelligent, let all your discussions bear on the law of the Most High.
16 Have the upright for your table companions, and let your pride be in fearing the Lord.
17 Work from skilled hands will earn its praise, but a leader of the people must be skilful in words.
Reading 1, Genesis 12:1-9: 1 Yahweh said to Abram, 'Leave your country, your kindred and ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 33:12-13, 18-19, 20, 22: 12 How blessed the nation whose God is ... Gospel, Matthew 7:1-5: 1 'Do not judge, and you will not be judged;2 because the ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- St. Cyril of Alexandria: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, June 27, 2017
- Vatican asks for the release of bishop forcibly removed from diocese
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, June 28th, 2017 HD Video
- Is Atheism a religion?
- Supreme Court sides with church in playground case
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, June 27, 2017
- Central bankers warn of looming global recession HD Video
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, June 27th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, June 26th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, June 25th, 2017 HD
- Pope Francis prepares an incredible gift of love and solidarity for South Sudan HD