In order to break the cycle of poverty, we must first start with the heart. Catholic Online School is something very special, providing FREE Catholic Education to anyone, anywhere. Learn more about the Catholic Online School
Help us create new hope with your donation. This year, please consider making a donation of $5, $20, $50 or whatever you can to support Catholic Online School. Support Catholic Online School
Ecclesiasticus / Sirach - Chapter 22
Ecclesiasticus / Sirach Chapters
4 a sensible daughter will find a husband, but a shameless one is a grief to her father.
5 A brazen daughter puts father and mother to shame, and will be disowned by both.
6 An untimely remonstrance is like music at a funeral, but a thrashing and correction are wisdom at all times.
10 You might as well talk to someone sound asleep; when you have finished the fool will say, 'What's up?'
11 Shed tears for the dead, who has left the light behind; shed tears for the fool, who has left his wits behind. Shed quieter tears for the dead who is at rest, for the fool life is worse than death.
13 Do not waste many words on the stupid, do not go near a dolt. Beware of him, or you will have trouble and be soiled by contact with him; keep away from him, and you will have peace of mind and not be exasperated by his folly.
15 Sand and salt and a lump of iron are a lighter burden than a dolt.
18 Pebbles placed on top of a wall will not stand up to the wind; no more can the heart of a fool frightened at his own thoughts stand up to fear.
19 Prick an eye and you will draw a tear, prick a heart and you reveal its feelings.
22 If you have opened your mouth against your friend, do not worry; there is hope for reconciliation; but insult, arrogance, betrayal of secrets, and the stab in the back -- in these cases any friend is lost.
23 Win your neighbour's confidence when he is poor, so that you may enjoy his later good fortune with him; stand by him in times of trouble, in order to have your share when he comes into a legacy.
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 103:1-2, 3-4, 8, 10
Gospel, Matthew 11:28-30
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- Could it be an alien spacecraft? Scientists listening today for ...
- Bioscience firms admit trafficking illegal fetal body parts - How ...
- NO, you may NOT venerate the apparitions in Medjugorje
- Pope Francis: Our Lady reveals everyone has a place in the Church
- Daily Reading for Friday, December 15th, 2017 HD Video
- St. John of the Cross: Saint of the Day for Thursday, December 14, 2017
- Daily Readings for Thursday, December 14, 2017
- Is Facebook ripping apart human civilization? HD
- Daily Reading for Thursday, December 14th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, December 13th, 2017 HD
- Attempted terror attack fails in Manhattan as pipe bomb explodes early HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way