Ecclesiasticus / Sirach - Chapter 25
Ecclesiasticus / Sirach Chapters
1 There are three things my soul delights in, and which are delightful to God and to all people: concord between brothers, friendship between neighbours, and a wife and husband who live happily together.
5 How fine a thing: wisdom in the aged, and considered advice coming from people of distinction!
7 There are nine things I can think of which strike me as happy, and a tenth which is now on my tongue: the man who can be proud of his children, he who lives to see the downfall of his enemies;
8 happy is he who keeps house with a sensible wife; he who does not toil with ox and donkey; he who has never sinned with his tongue; he who does not serve a man less worthy than himself;
9 happy is he who has acquired good sense and can find attentive ears for what he has to say;
11 The fear of the Lord surpasses everything; what can compare with someone who has mastered that?
19 No spite can approach the spite of a woman, may a sinner's lot be hers!
25 Do not let water find a leak, nor a spiteful woman give free rein to her tongue.
26 If she will not do as you tell her, get rid of her.
Reading 1, Exodus 14:5-18: 5 When Pharaoh king of Egypt was told that the people had fled, ... Responsorial Psalm, Exodus 15:1-2, 3-4, 5-6: 1 It was then that Moses and the Israelites ... Gospel, Matthew 12:38-42: 38 Then some of the scribes and Pharisees spoke up. 'Master,' ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- St. James the Greater: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, July 25, 2017
- As more women learn, they are ditching the pill and other contraceptives
- Boy invites Pope on a pilgrimage, and the Pope's answer may surprise you!
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, July 25, 2017
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, July 26th, 2017 HD Video
- Pope Francis is set for something big, but what is it? HD Video
- Scientists discover elusive 'Angel Particles' are real
- st paul
- pictures of saints
- john the baptist
- saint anne
- hail holy queen
- saint elizabeth
- saint paul
- saint christopher
- st mary
- nicene creed
- our lady of guadalupe
- saint francis of assisi
- young children
- Saint Nicole
- st. michael
- Statues of the Virgin Mary triumphantly return to Iraq, after defeat of ISIS HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, July 25th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, July 24th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, July 23rd, 2017 HD