Ecclesiasticus / Sirach - Chapter 30
Ecclesiasticus / Sirach Chapters
1 Whoever loves his son will beat him frequently so that in after years the son may be his comfort.
2 Whoever is strict with his son will reap the benefit, and be able to boast of him to his acquaintances.
5 In life he has had the joy of his company, dying, he has no anxieties.
10 Do not laugh with him, or one day you will weep with him and end up gnashing your teeth.
12 Bend his neck in youth, bruise his ribs while he is a child, or else he will grow stubborn and disobedient, and hurt you very deeply.
13 Be strict with your son, and persevere with him, or you will rue his insolence.
15 Health and strength are better than any gold, a robust body than untold wealth.
18 Good things lavished on a closed mouth are like food offerings put on a grave.
22 Gladness of heart is life to anyone, joy is what gives length of days.
24 Jealousy and anger shorten your days, and worry brings premature old age.
Reading 1, Judges 9:6-15: 6 All the leading men of Shechem and all Beth-Millo then met and ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 21:2-3, 4-5, 6-7: 2 You have granted him his heart's desire, ... Gospel, Matthew 20:1-16: 1 'Now the kingdom of Heaven is like a landowner going out at ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Does the Aug 21 eclipse spell doom for humanity? HD Video
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, August 23, 2017
- Cultured meats coming to a store near you in 2018
- St. Philip Benizi: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, August 23, 2017
- Here are four martyrs who died, protecting the seal of confession
- Trump announces new Afghan strategy - do we get to win this time? HD ...
- New research shows global warming is not your fault. Here's why
- Daily Reading for Thursday, August 24th, 2017 HD
- 10 US Sailors missing after serious collision in Southeast Asian waters HD
- Jerry Lewis passes away at 91, was most proud of his family HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017 HD