Exodus - Chapter 1
4 Dan and Naphtali, Gad and Asher.
6 Then Joseph died, and his brothers, and all that generation.
7 But the Israelites were fruitful and prolific; they became so numerous and powerful that eventually the whole land was full of them.
8 Then there came to power in Egypt a new king who had never heard of Joseph.
9 'Look,' he said to his people, 'the Israelites are now more numerous and stronger than we are.
10 We must take precautions to stop them from increasing any further, or if war should break out, they might join the ranks of our enemies. They might take arms against us and then escape from the country.'
11 Accordingly they put taskmasters over the Israelites to wear them down by forced labour. In this way they built the store-cities of Pithom and Rameses for Pharaoh.
15 The king of Egypt then spoke to the Hebrew midwives, one of whom was called Shiphrah, and the other Puah.
17 But the midwives were God-fearing women and did not obey the orders of the king of Egypt, but allowed the boys to live.
19 The midwives said to Pharaoh, 'Hebrew women are not like Egyptian women, they are hardy and give birth before the midwife can get to them.'
21 and since the midwives feared God, he gave them families of their own.
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 145:10-11, 12-13, 17-18
Gospel, Luke 10:1-9
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, October 18, 2017
- CORRUPT TO THE CORE: The REAL Russian scandal - Turns out Clintons ...
- Daily Reading for Friday, October 20th, 2017 HD Video
- Being Christian now more dangerous than ever as persecution reaches ...
- St. Luke: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, October 18, 2017
- It was the Clintons! Clinton family took millions in bribes from ...
- Secretary denies Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI is close to passing
- hail holy queen
- saint elizabeth
- saint paul
- saint christopher
- st mary
- nicene creed
- our lady of guadalupe
- saint francis of assisi
- young children
- Saint Nicole
- st. michael
- saint francis
- st nicholas
- all saints day
- list of saints
- st anne
- st christopher
- Daily Reading for Thursday, October 19th, 2017 HD
- Museum of the Bible to open in Washington D.C., here's what you want to know HD
- Virgin Mary appears to Hindu schoolchildren in India, miracles reported HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, October 18th, 2017 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way