Help Now >
FREE Catholic Classes
Possibly plural of Anath , a feminine Chaldean deity, worshiped in Chanaan [Enc. Bib. s.v. Anath ; Lagrange, "Juges" (Paris, 1903), 62-63].
(1) Anathoth is identified with Anata, about two and a half miles north--east of Jerusalem, and everything favours that identification; around Anata are found the names of the villages mentioned in Isaias, x, 28. From its height (2235 ft.), Anata, which seems to have been fortified in the past, commands a fine but desolate view east and south-east the north end of the Dead Sea and the Lower Jordan are visible across the hills of the wilderness. Between Jerusalem and Anata rise the heights of the Scarus (Mesarif), where Titus and his legions encamped when besieging Jerusalem. On those heights is built the village of El 'Tsawiyeh (2390 ft.), perhaps the Laisa mentioned with Anathoth in Isaias, x, 30 (Buhl, Geographic des alten Palästina, 175). Anathoth is reckoned among the Levitical cities of Benjamin ( Joshua 21:18 ; 1 Chronicles 6:60 ). Abiezer, one of Davids valiant men was from that city ( 2 Samuel 23:27 ), which had also given to David one of his first followers in the person of Jehu ( 1 Chronicles 12:3 ). There Abiathar the priest, had lands, to which he was banished by Solomon, suspicious of the understanding between his brother Adonias and Abiathar ( 1 Kings 2:26 ). One hundred and twenty eight men of Anathoth returned from Babylon, according to the list in I Esd. (Ezra), ii, 23 and II Esdr. (Neh.), vii, 27. But its chief interest lies in the fact that it was the home of Jeremias family ( Jeremiah 1:1 ; 29:27 ; 32:7-9 ). But there he also, "the . . . of the incomparable One", experienced that "no prophet is accepted in his own country" ( Jeremiah 11:21-23 ).
Help Now >
(2) One of the sons of Bechor (Becher in the genealogy of Benjamin) 1 Chronicles 7:8 .
(3) One of the subscribers to the covenant [ Nehemiah 10:19 ].
Join the Movement
When you sign up below, you don't just join an email list - you're joining an entire movement for Free world class Catholic education.
Mysteries of the Rosary
Saint of the Day for Friday, July 1st, 2022
Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary
St. Junipero Serra
The Apostles' Creed
Prayer of Reparation
- Daily Readings for Saturday, July 02, 2022
- St. Bernardino Realino: Saint of the Day for Saturday, July 02, 2022
- Prayer for Employment: Prayer of the Day for Saturday, July 02, 2022
- Daily Readings for Friday, July 01, 2022
- St. Junipero Serra: Saint of the Day for Friday, July 01, 2022
- Prayer of the Chalice: Prayer of the Day for Friday, July 01, 2022
Copyright 2021 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2021 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.
Catholic Online is a Project of Your Catholic Voice Foundation, a Not-for-Profit Corporation. Your Catholic Voice Foundation has been granted a recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Federal Tax Identification Number: 81-0596847. Your gift is tax-deductible as allowed by law.