Numbers - Chapter 31
1 Yahweh spoke to Moses and said,
3 Moses said to the people, 'Some of you are to take up arms for Yahweh's campaign against Midian, to carry out the vengeance of Yahweh on Midian.
4 You will put a thousand men in the field from each of the tribes of Israel.'
6 Moses put them in the field, one thousand from each tribe, with Phinehas, son of the priest Eleazar, to go with them carrying the sacred objects and the trumpets for the battle cry.
9 The Israelites took the Midianite women and their little ones captive and carried off all their cattle, all their flocks and all their goods as booty.
15 He said, 'Why have you spared the life of all the women?
17 So kill all the male children and kill all the women who have ever slept with a man;
24 'Wash your clothes on the seventh day and you will then be clean. You may then re-enter the camp.'
25 Yahweh spoke to Moses and said:
27 You will then share out the spoil, half and half, between those who fought the campaign and the rest of the community.
28 From the share of the combatants who took part in the campaign, you will set aside one out of every five hundred persons, oxen, donkeys and sheep as Yahweh's portion.
30 From the half coming to the Israelites, you will take one out of every fifty persons, oxen, donkeys, sheep, and all other animals, and give them to the Levites who are responsible for Yahweh's Dwelling.'
49 and said, 'Your servants have numbered the soldiers under their command: none of our men is missing.
50 So, as an offering for Yahweh, we have brought what each of us has found in the way of gold ornaments, armlets and bracelets, rings, earrings and breastplates, to make expiation for ourselves before Yahweh.'
52 This portion of gold given to Yahweh by the commanders of the thousands and commanders of the hundreds amounted to sixteen thousand seven hundred and fifty shekels.
54 But Moses and the priest Eleazar, having accepted the gold from the commanders of the thousands and commanders of the hundreds, brought it into the Tent of Meeting, to be a reminder of the Israelites before Yahweh.
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 1:1-2, 3, 4, 6
Gospel, Matthew 11:16-19
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- Daily Reading for Saturday, December 16th, 2017 HD Video
- St. Mary Di Rosa: Saint of the Day for Friday, December 15, 2017
- Alveda King, niece of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., meets with Pope ...
- Daily Readings for Friday, December 15, 2017
- Daily Reading for Sunday, December 17th, 2017 HD Video
- Pope Francis says you need to go to Mass!
- The world's suffering little ones - don't forget them this Christmas
- The Net Neutrality Scam: Get ready to pay a lot more for a lot less HD
- Could it be an alien spacecraft? Scientists listening today for signals from strange object HD
- Daily Reading for Friday, December 15th, 2017 HD
- Is Facebook ripping apart human civilization? HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way