Numbers - Chapter 22
4 he said to the elders of Midian, 'This horde will soon have cropped everything round us as closely as an ox crops grass in the countryside.' Now Balak son of Zippor was king of Moab at the time.
5 He sent messengers to summon Balaam son of Beor, at Pethor on the River, in the territory of the Amawites, saying, 'Look, a people coming from Egypt has overrun the whole countryside; they have halted at my very door.
6 I beg you come and curse this people for me, for they are stronger than I am. We may then be able to defeat them and drive them out of the country. For this I know: anyone you bless is blessed, anyone you curse is accursed.'
9 God came to Balaam and said, 'Who are these men staying with you?'
11 "Look, a people coming from Egypt has overrun the whole countryside. Come now and curse them for me; I may then be able to defeat them and drive them out." '
16 They came to Balaam and said, 'A message from Balak son of Zippor, "Now do not refuse to come to me.
17 I will load you with honours and do whatever you say. I beg you come and curse this people for me." '
20 God came to Balaam during the night and said to him, 'Have not these men come to summon you? Get up, go with them, but do only what I tell you to do.'
23 Now the donkey saw the angel of Yahweh standing in the road with a drawn sword in his hand, and she turned off the road into the open country. Balaam then struck the donkey to turn her back onto the road.
36 Balak learned that Balaam was coming and went out to meet him, in the direction of Ar in Moab, at the Arnon frontier on the country's furthest boundary.
38 Balaam said to Balak, 'I have come to you after all. I suppose you know I cannot say anything on my own? The words God puts into my mouth are what I shall say.'
40 Balak sacrificed oxen and sheep, and offered portions to Balaam and the chiefs who were with him.
41 Next morning Balak took Balaam and brought him up to Bamoth-Baal, from where he could see the edge of the camp.
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 19:2-3, 4-5
Gospel, Matthew 9:9-13
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- Daily Reading for Saturday, September 23rd, 2017 HD Video
- Hurricane Maria: The worst disaster for Puerto Rico HD Video
- St. Thomas of Villanueva: Saint of the Day for Friday, September 22, 2017
- Daily Readings for Friday, September 22, 2017
- Pope Francis asks the intercession of Our Lady of Guadalupe following ...
- We have unmasked the, foul-mouthed, liberal hypocrite Lawrence ...
- Hurricane Maria scours Puerto Rico, will be months before electricity ...
- Terrifying earthquake collapses buildings in Mexico City, hundreds dead HD
- Daily Reading for Friday, September 22nd, 2017 HD
- Officials warn, 'evacuate or die' as Maria churns towards Puerto Rico HD
- Daily Reading for Thursday, September 21st, 2017 HD