Numbers - Chapter 36
1 Then the heads of families of the clan descended from Gilead, son of Machir, son of Manasseh, one of the clans descended from Joseph, came forward and, addressing Moses and the leaders, the Israelite heads of families,
2 they said: 'Yahweh has ordered my lord to apportion the Israelites' heritages in the country by lot and my lord has been ordered by Yahweh to give the heritage of our brother Zelophehad to his daughters.
3 Now, if they marry someone from another Israelite tribe, their heritage will be alienated from our ancestral heritage. The heritage of the tribe to which they will then belong will be increased, and the heritage allotted to us will be diminished.
4 And when the jubilee for the Israelites comes round, these women's heritage will become part of the heritage of the tribe to which they then belong, and be alienated from the heritage of our ancestral tribe.'
9 No heritage may be transferred from one tribe to another; each Israelite tribe will stick to its own heritage." '
10 Zelophehad's daughters did as Yahweh had ordered Moses.
Reading 1, Acts 4:23-31: 23 As soon as they were released they went to the community and ... Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 2:1-3, 4-6, 7-9: 1 Why this uproar among the nations, this ... Gospel, John 3:1-8: 1 There was one of the Pharisees called Nicodemus, a leader of the ... continue readingMore Daily Readings
The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume.
Like its predecessor, the Jerusalem Bible, the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) version is translated "directly from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic." The 1973 French translation, the Bible de Jerusalem, is followed only "where the text admits to more than one interpretation." Introductions and notes, with some modifications, are taken from the Bible de Jerusalem.
Source: The Very Reverend Dom (Joseph) Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), a monk of Ampleforth Abbey and a biblical scholar. He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. "New Jerusalem Bible, Regular Edition", pg. v.
by Catholic Online
- Day 4 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD Video
- What 2017 releases will YOU watch this summer? - A FULL LIST of ...
- Scientists discover a scary Antarctic mystery - how worried should we be?
- The Blessed Virgin or the Samaritan woman at the well? Ancient ...
- St. Mark: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, April 25, 2017
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, April 26th, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, April 25, 2017
- France's Presidential Runoff: Another choice between a nationalist and a globalist HD
- Day 3 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD
- Day 2 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD
- Day 1 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.