Numbers - Chapter 35
3 The towns must be their homes and the surrounding pasture land must be for their cattle, their possessions and all their animals.
5 'Outside the town, measure two thousand cubits to the east, two thousand cubits to the south, two thousand cubits to the west and two thousand cubits to the north, the town lying in the centre; such will be the pasture lands of these towns.
8 Of the towns which you give from the Israelites' possessions, you will give more from those who have more, and less from those who have less. Each will give some of his towns to the Levites, in proportion to the heritage he himself has received.'
9 Yahweh spoke to Moses and said:
13 Of the towns you give, six will serve you as cities of refuge:
15 These six towns will serve as refuge for the Israelites, for the foreigner and for the resident alien, where anyone who has accidentally killed someone can take sanctuary.
17 If he has struck him with a stone meant for killing, and has killed him, he is a murderer. The murderer will be put to death.
18 Or if he has struck him with a wooden instrument meant for killing, and has killed him, he is a murderer. The murderer will be put to death.
24 then the community will decide in accordance with these rules between the one who struck the blow and the avenger of blood,
25 and will save the killer from the clutches of the avenger of blood. They will send him back to the city of refuge where he had taken sanctuary, and there he will stay until the death of the high priest who has been anointed with the holy oil.
28 since the killer should stay in his city of refuge until the death of the high priest; only after the death of the high priest is he free to go back to his own piece of property.
29 Such will be the legal rule for you and your descendants, wherever you may live.
33 Do not profane the country you live in. Blood profanes the country and, for the country, the only expiation for the blood shed in it is the blood of the man who shed it.
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Luke 1:46-48, 49-50, 53-54
Gospel, John 1:6-8, 19-28
Reading 2, First Thessalonians 5:16-24
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- Commission recommends Church end priestly celibacy and confession to ...
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, December 19th, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Readings for Sunday, December 17, 2017
- REJOICE! Gaudete Sunday Calls us to Live as Joyful Christians in All ...
- Church reviews possible Catholic hospital mega-merger
- Indonesia rejects law that would criminalize sex outside of marriage
- St. Olympias: Saint of the Day for Sunday, December 17, 2017
- Daily Reading for Monday, December 18th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, December 17th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, December 16th, 2017 HD
- The Net Neutrality Scam: Get ready to pay a lot more for a lot less HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way