Help Now >
FREE Catholic Classes
( Hebrew Ashdodh ; in Septuagint Azotos )
(1) One of the five great cities of the Philistines ( Joshua 13:3 ), the modern Esdud, situated three miles from the Mediterranean Sea, about half-way between Gaza and Jaffa. The temple of Dagon, whither the Ark of the Covenant was carried by the Philistines, was situated here ( 1 Samuel 5:1-5 ; 1 Maccabees 10:83 ; 11:4 ). Azotus, like other Philistine cities, suffered varying fortunes in the wars with Israel, Assyria, and Egypt. Oxias fought against it ( 2 Chronicles 26:6 ), Sargon besieged and took it ( Isaiah 20:1 ; Schrader, "Keilinschriftliche Bibliothek", II, 66-67), and Sennacherib did likewise (Schrader, op. cit., II, 90-91). According to Herodotus, Psammetichus besieged the city for twenty years. In 163 B.C. Judas Machabeus cleared Azotus of idols ( 1 Maccabees 5:68 ), and in 148 B.C. Jonathan and Simon burnt the temple of Dagon ( 1 Maccabees 10:83-84 ). To-day Esdud is a modern village, with many ruins attesting its glorious past. In the New Testament Azotus is mentioned in connection with Philip's return from Gaza ( Acts 8:40 ).
Azotus, a titular see of Palestine
Situated near the seacoast, between Jaffa and Ascalon. Its episcopal list (325-536) is given in Gams (452). It is the Ashdod of the Book of Josue (xv, 47), was one of the five principal cities of the Philistines, and the chief seat of the worship of their god Dagon ( 1 Samuel 5:1-7 ). Herodotus mentions it (II, 157) as having withstood King Psammetichus of Egypt in a siege of twenty-nine years, the longest then known.
FREE Catholic Classes Pick a class, you can learn anything
Join the Movement
When you sign up below, you don't just join an email list - you're joining an entire movement for Free world class Catholic education.
Saint of the Day for Saturday, Nov 26th, 2022
Mysteries of the Rosary
Prayer of the Day for Saturday, Nov 26
St. John Berchmans
Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Unfailing Prayer to St. Anthony
The Apostles' Creed
7 Morning Prayers you need to get your day started with God
Act of Contrition
- Daily Readings for Saturday, November 26, 2022
- St. John Berchmans: Saint of the Day for Saturday, November 26, 2022
- Act of Entrustment to Mary: Prayer of the Day for Saturday, November 26, 2022
- Daily Readings for Friday, November 25, 2022
- St. Catherine of Alexandria: Saint of the Day for Friday, November 25, 2022
- Guardian Angel Prayer #3: Prayer of the Day for Friday, November 25, 2022
Copyright 2022 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2022 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.
Catholic Online is a Project of Your Catholic Voice Foundation, a Not-for-Profit Corporation. Your Catholic Voice Foundation has been granted a recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Federal Tax Identification Number: 81-0596847. Your gift is tax-deductible as allowed by law.