FREE Catholic Classes
A set of thirteen spoons, usually silver, the handles of which are adorned with representations of Our Lord (the Master spoon) and the twelve Apostles. Anciently they were given by sponsors as baptismal gifts to their godchildren, the wealthy giving complete sets, others a smaller number, and a poor person a single spoon. The Apostles are distinguished one from the other by their respective emblems:
- St. Peter with a key, sometimes a fish;
- St. Andrew with a saltire cross;
- St. James Major with a pilgrim's staff and gourd;
- St. John with a chalice ;
- St. Philip with a long staff surmounted with a cross;
- St. James Minor with a fuller's bat;
- St. Thomas with a spear;
- St. Bartholomew with a butcher's knife;
- St. Matthew with a wallet, sometimes an axe;
- St. Matthias with a halbert;
- St. Thaddeus, or Jude, with a carpenter's square;
- St. Simon with a saw.
- Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- Unfailing Prayer to St. Anthony
- The Apostles' Creed
- Evening Prayer
- Padre Nuestro - Our Father (Lord's Prayer)
- Ave Maria - Hail Mary
Copyright 2021 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2021 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.
Catholic Online is a Project of Your Catholic Voice Foundation, a Not-for-Profit Corporation. Your Catholic Voice Foundation has been granted a recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Federal Tax Identification Number: 81-0596847. Your gift is tax-deductible as allowed by law.