FREE Catholic Classes
[Gr. Melchisedek , from the Hebrew meaning "King of righteousness (Gesenius)] was King of Salem (Gen. xiv, 18-20) who, on Abraham's return with the booty taken from the four kings, "bringing forth bread and wine, for he was the priest of the most high God, blessed him", and received from him "the tithes of all" (v. 20). Josephus, with many others, identifies Salem with Jerusalem, and adds that Melchisedech "supplied Abram's army in a hospitable manner, and gave them provisions in abundance. . .and when Abram gave him the tenth part of his prey, he accepted the gift" (Ant., I, x, 2). Cheyne says "it is a plausible conjecture that he is a purely fictitious personage" (Encyc. Bib., s.v.), which "plausible conjecture" Kaufmann, however, rightly condemns ( Jew. Encyc., s.v.). The Rabbins identified Melchisedech with Sem, son of Noah, rather for polemic than historic reasons, since they wished to set themselves against what is said of him as a type of Christ "without father, without mother, without genealogy " ( Hebrews 7:3 ). In the Epistle to the Hebrews the typical character of Melchisedech and its Messianic import are fully explained. Christ is "a priest forever according to the order of Melchisedech" ( Hebrews 7:6 ; Psalm 109:4 ); "a high priest forever", etc ( Hebrews 6:20 ), i.e. order or manner (Gesenius), not after the manner of Aaron. The Apostle develops his teaching in Heb., vii: Melchisedech was a type by reason
- of his twofold dignity as priest and king,
- by reason of his name, "king of justice ",
- by reason of the city over which he ruled, "King of Salem, that is, king of peace" (v. 2), and also
- because he "without father without mother, without genealogy, having neither beginning of days nor end of life, but likened unto the Son of God, continueth a priest forever." (v. 3).
Help Now >
Join the Movement
When you sign up below, you don't just join an email list - you're joining an entire movement for Free world class Catholic education.
Mysteries of the Rosary
Nicene Creed (Latin)
Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Daily Readings Archive
The Apostles' Creed
Saint of the Day for Saturday, Oct 1st, 2022
Female / Women Saints
St. Michael the Archangel
Prayer of the Day for Saturday, Oct 1
Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- Daily Readings for Sunday, October 02, 2022
- St. Leger: Saint of the Day for Sunday, October 02, 2022
- Prayer for the Unborn Child: Prayer of the Day for Sunday, October 02, 2022
- Daily Readings for Saturday, October 01, 2022
- St. Therese of Lisieux: Saint of the Day for Saturday, October 01, 2022
- A Prayer to Saint Therese De Lisieux for Guidance: Prayer of the Day for Saturday, October 01, 2022
Copyright 2022 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2022 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.
Catholic Online is a Project of Your Catholic Voice Foundation, a Not-for-Profit Corporation. Your Catholic Voice Foundation has been granted a recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Federal Tax Identification Number: 81-0596847. Your gift is tax-deductible as allowed by law.